Model Cars Magazine Forum

San Francisco Verses the Flying Saucers! Finished!

Ira

THE SUPPORT BEAM!

Here is the Ray Gun in place on the bottom of the Saucer. It will be held in place by Magnets...No Glue.

DSCN6402S_zpsc21ca681.jpg

Here is the bottom of the Saucer in place. No Glue yet, this is just a Mock-Up.

DSCN6464S_zps00d443e3.jpg

More Coming... B)

UFO LIGHTS!

I decided that I wanted Lights in the Saucer. The Original Movie Saucers didn't have Lights but I thought this might be a Newer Model with all of the upgrades.
I carved out the inside edge of a length of Brass Tubing with a #11 X-Acto Knife until it was sharp all around the end. Then I cut it to about 1/2 inch long.
Next I stacked up 4 layers of Blue Masking Tape and put the stack of tape on a piece of hard wood. Then I put the Cut Tube on top of the Stacked Tape and hit it with a hammer. This gave me many little round Masks for the windows.

DSCN6405S_zps97550ba9.jpg

Here are the Dots in place. They will mask the round Portholes Shapes on the Saucer.

DSCN6408S_zpsedf1dddc.jpg

More Coming... B)

ALIEN MAGNETISM!

I used "Strong Magnets" from a Craft Store. I glued the first Magnet in the center of the Saucer's Bottom/Inside.

DSCN6873S_zpsa214ef76.jpg

Next I cut a hole that will allow the Magnet on the Bottom Section to enter the underside of the Saucer.

DSCN6412S_zpsf3babb29.jpg

There was a Ridge, on the inside, that goes around the hole I just cut. I glued a strip of Thin Plastic across the Ridge to hold the Second Battery. The Second Battery is now glued in.

DSCN6417S_zpsefef1aa1.jpg

Even with a strip of thin plastic between them, the Magnets are strong enough to hold the Saucer in place.

DSCN6414S_zps5887cab5.jpg

More Coming... B)

BEEFING UP THE HOUSE!

I glued in the left side of the Roof and added a length of Square Tubing in the Inside Peak of the Roof. I used Zap-A-Gap to glue all of the House seems then I used Formula 560 White Glue to Strengthen the joints. I also added a couple of Loops to hold Lights!

DSCN6467S_zps000b2d9c.jpg

I Beefed up the right side of the Roof with 2 lengths of Square Tubing.

DSCN6471S_zpscccedba8.jpg

I cut a slot, in the Base, for the Laser Switch and then drilled 2 holes to mount it with screws.

DSCN6420S_zpse1bfca7b.jpg

More Coming... B)

THE LIGHT!

I mounted the Switch on the side of the Base and taped the Battery Pack inside the Base. I used Black Masking Tape the attach the Light to the Laser Tube.

DSCN6480S_zps50beb56c.jpg

I wanted a little Color in the Laser Beam, so I glued a Transparent Green piece of plastic and a Clear Rhinestone on the lens. Then I painted Tamiya Clear Amber over the Lens area.

DSCN6500S_zpsc1e7b36c.jpg

Here it is Turned On!

DSCN6502S_zps62fd6d1f.jpg

More Coming... B)

SPECIAL F.X.!

I found these Key Chain Lights at the Dollar Store. They Change Colors and Strobe at 2 different speeds. It is small enough to fit in many model as is, but I changed mine a little bit...

DSCN6484S_zpsd0406bc2.jpg

When I opened up the Light, one of these was in it. Each Unit includes Batteries, Color Changing/Strobing Light and an On-Off Button. I made 2 Hooks from wire and taped the Hooks on 2 Units as shown.

DSCN6475S_zpseb5884ee.jpg

Here are 2 of the Lights hanging inside the House. Notice the Lights even go through the front windows and light up the Crystals Balls on the stairs. Two Lights at the same time create a lot of Excitement in the House!

DSCN6668S_zpsbb52864d.jpg

More Coming... B)

dude thats awsome !!!!!!

btw a got an idea !!! if you would take like a long thin or thick clear plastic rod and on the end make a led on it that shines directly on the end of the rod maybe it would light up the rod all the way ?

then you could place that inside the beam glass you have now and habe like a second beam inside ?

also got to think in the toystores they often sell those cheap plastic light swords that have like all light up tubes ...

Just a Few More Details...

I had to touch-up the grass in some spots. Before I added more grass I painted the Green Paint up on the House a little and over the concrete a little. Then I sprinkled on more grass. This looked more realistic than my original straight lines.
I made Skid Marks for the Sheriffs Ferrari with a regular #2 Pencil.

DSCN6520S_zps5b7c4d73.jpg

I bought a Bag of Trees at the Hobby Shop and glued one in the hole.

DSCN6550S_zpse4727db2.jpg

Here is the Ferrrari and the Front Tree in place. I made this tree by cutting off the top half of a tree like the one in back.

DSCN6559S_zps49027cb9.jpg

More Coming... B)

Edited by Ira

ALMOST FINISHED!

A little Touch-Up here and there and its Done!

Here is a mock-up to show you what it looks like all together.

DSCN6578S_zps3af39437.jpg

The next photos you see will be of the Finished "San Francisco Verses The Flying Saucers" Diorama!

Coming Soon... B)