Model Cars Magazine Forum

So, I've been here for a couple years and just recently posted my first "Under Glass" a few weeks ago with a Lime Ice and Appliance white 62 Impala. This will be my first "in progress" build to be posted here. I didn't have any white paper on hand and just have an iPod for pics so, excuse the crummy photos.

IMG_3216_zps2d8dde57.jpg

As you can tell, it's gonna lay frame...no fancy bags or anything here. Just gonna keep it simple on this one...as I usually do. I relocated the kit's lowered control arms which gave me the frame laying stance on these die cast wheels from an old Astro Van. Not sure yet what I am going to do in the back. And for those wandering, yes, wheels do clear the hood and barely touch under the tops of the fenders...close enough to a "layed out" bagged truck.

IMG_3215_zpsb454434e.jpg

I have started working on body dropping the bed. I body dropped it to clear the rear wheels and will be putting the equivillent of a four wheel drive body lift under it to make the bed line up with the cab. In plain English, I'm just raising the bed floor for clearance...just like my 1:1 S10. And if you were wandering, yes, those bedsides are discarded credit cards. When you can't just run across town and get some Evergreen, you improvise. :D

IMG_3214_zpsd7538b1f.jpg

This is the grille I have been working on. I semi-wrecklessly sanded most of the grille out with a dremel and when I got close, I hand sanded and picked out chrome flakes with a toothpick. It still needs some cleanup and a painted bowtie...maybe some driving lights. I wanted to make sure I did the chrome bumper with the factory trim because I haven't seen anyone on here do that yet. Everyone either strips and paints or leaves it all chrome save for maybe some blackwash and the bowtie.

Edited by Skydime

Thanks. Good thing I posted that frame shot. I just noticed the brake rotors need a black wash. Next update, I'll make sure I have some white paper on hand for some better pictures. I work at home on both my jobs and I am semi teethered to a headset right now. So, I couldn't exactly go into my wife's office and get some printer paper.

Edited by Skydime

UPDATE

Not much progress made to the Silverado. Been working a lot and had to take my little girl to the doctor today. I managed to get the windshield trim painted along with tinting the rest of the windows. I will post pictures once I get the windshield black line edged the way I want and get the tape residue cleaned off of it.

I am trying to figure out what I want to do with the exhaust and the roll pan. I hate the stupid exhaust tips that come pre-attached. They look nowhere near real. I am thinking of either running it together over one frame rail and coming out just in front of the passenger side rear wheel or just running the mufflers forward of the rear wheels and leaving just a little tip coming out of them. I just cut the exhaust pipe right behind the muffler on my 1:1 S10. No matter what I do, I am pretty sure I am ditching those tips and filling the holes in the roll pan. I already tossed the chrome rear bumper so, using it is out of the question.

Edited by Skydime

Small update

Getting some initial shaving and filling done. I haven't even wiped off the bondo dust yet. And I am definitely going to have to get something better than the ipod for pictures.

In the first picture, I have removed the side moldings, door handles, and everything attached to the fenders. It's gonna take a couple rounds with the body filler before I get it smooth enough for a first priming. Also, I have cut those ridiculous half weather guards off the mirrors. I wanted them on the body before I finished shaping them so I can see where I stand as I go.

IMG_1279_zps42760c4e.jpg

Here is the gas door I just started shaving. Again, lots of work left and I will need to continue around the back to eliminate the exhaust and mold in the roll pan.

IMG_1280_zps53a35ba8.jpg

Now I know a lot of people may be confused by the fact that I am leaving a stock grille on a full custom truck. It's not something I would do in real life but, like I said earlier, it's something I have never seen on this model kit so, I am going with it.

Edited by Skydime

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Thanks Carl, very kind and true words. I got the box sitting under my desk now. Just trying to decide what to do next. I'm still hating this stupid roll pan. It's really period correct for the style they aimed for with this kit...which ain't sayin' much. :mellow: I'd give anything if they had also put stock bed rocker panels in the box. But I think my best route is to go ahead and pan out my rear suspension so I know what Im going to do with my exhaust, air tank, and compressor first.

Edited by Skydime