Model Cars Magazine Forum

Real Or Memorex?

It's the real thing.

If this is a model, then I have a new model building hero.Proper and even body panel thickness.Tight door panel lines. Tire lettering scuffing at the right places.The interior is well done for a model.The window net would also be a neat trick if this was a model. Tamiya couldn't get to this level.

But there is that 1/9th scale Ferrari with the working motor so it could be a model but I'll stick to real.

It's the real thing.

If this is a model, then I have a new model building hero.Proper and even body panel thickness.Tight door panel lines. Tire lettering scuffing at the right places.The interior is well done for a model.The window net would also be a neat trick if this was a model. Tamiya couldn't get to this level.

But there is that 1/9th scale Ferrari with the working motor so it could be a model but I'll stick to real.

A couple clues. The real thing almost never gets shot at this angle, and unless it was a newly done restoration there is no abrasive marks from the track, whick it could be a resto as it's not in it's original markings or colors. Plus, I don't think there are any driver names on the real car. At least there weren't any in 2005ish

I am thinking it's bigger scale maybe the JLP-3 Moby Dick here is based off Tamiya 1/12 th scale 935

BTW the Ferrari was a 1/3 scale. And Pierre Scerri is now building a 250 and a 330P

Here is the original car.

untitled.bmp

Edited by CAL

Gotta be real, I say. Any good-sized photo studio could provide room for those high-vantage shots, and I can't recall seeing a model car window net that 'wrinkly;' nearly all I've seen look like they've been starched and ironed.

Could, but doesn't happen that often. Furthermore, a studio shoot would have probably used a couple of silks so that the light would reflect in the shot.

More evidence.

The real car doesn't have as much distortion in the rear glass.

There is also a big chip out of the front spoiler on the real car.

as mentioned no names on the real car.

There is also some kind of additional decal in the front windshield of the real car.

A there is something a little off in the front of the "studio car."

However, I been wrong before, but that was a mistake.

post-2119-1195150305_thumb.jpg

post-2119-1195150316_thumb.jpg

post-2119-1195150599_thumb.jpg

Definitely Memorex. The window net and the wheels are dead give aways that this is a model.

After seeing the photo of the real car in the previous post, I retract my previous reasoning. :lol: I am unfamiliar with this type of car and did not know that the window net and wheels look very cheap. I still feel that it is a model, but the decals in the other photos don't quite look right.

I'm sticking with real. With the tires exposed like that,could anyone replicate that tire scrub surface? I've seen 1:1 concept car and production car photos taken in this angle,to show off items like all glass roofs,aerodynamics and such. Here's an example...

Oh,and thanks for correcting me on that 1/3rd scale Ferrari. That is an awesome little car.

post-2157-1195165073_thumb.jpg

Edited by Joe R.

I'm thinking that this car is probably real. It is either a replica or restored version of the JLP-3. I'm thinking it's a replica because the names on the top of the car. When the car was racing, it was mainly driven by John Paul, Jr. and John Paul, Sr.

As for the windows, none of these cars ran with glass. They ran with plexiglass so it would have a plastic look to it when pictures were taken of it.

Edited by Brendan

It's the real deal, or at least that was the auction ad said. The photos were take for an auction ad for the real JLP-3 (varified by chassis number). The car was also at Gunnar in 2001, raced in 2005 at a Monterey Historic event, was acutioned 2007; however, the $650,000.00 reserve wasn't met. Interestingly the photos at the actual RM Acution in March of this year or recent events do not look like the same car pictured in the acution house ad. Obvously customer supplied the photos. I don't think there is ever anyway to know if its a model or the real car without asking whoever took these shots - personally

Jonathon,

I see the names but the names don't match the drivers of the actual car. That's why I'm thinking it's a replica or restoration of the real car. They still do race these cars in Vintage Races and those could be the drivers of the Vintage Race.

I see now. The first car is chassis JLP-9 and the car without names is chassis JLP-3, which was also at a recent acution house, so we are, at least I was comparing two different cars. In that case it's real real real.

Could, but doesn't happen that often. Furthermore, a studio shoot would have probably used a couple of silks so that the light would reflect in the shot.

More evidence.

The real car doesn't have as much distortion in the rear glass.

There is also a big chip out of the front spoiler on the real car.

as mentioned no names on the real car.

There is also some kind of additional decal in the front windshield of the real car.

A there is something a little off in the front of the "studio car."

However, I been wrong before, but that was a mistake.

No need to go all Perry Mason on me.....sorry I even posted in this thread, jeez. ;)

It's the end of the week and some of you guys are right...it is a real car. I took the photo from the R-M auction catalogue from the Amelia Island sale last March and it appears the photos were done in a studio but I don't know where or by whom. The pre-auction estimate was $750,000 to $950,000 and the high bid was $680,000...not quite enough for a sale.

The car is one of the original John Paul cars, JLP-3. It is the only car to win both Daytona 24 and Sebring 12 in the same year, according to the catalogue. There is more history listed including a race history.

I hope you all had fun with this...now go build a model of it :unsure:

do you mean to tell me i am the only one convinced those are drawn in panel lines on the louvers ontop the fenders (to mention only one feature) , and rather shakily drawn panel lines at that?

and the whole thing looks totally model like to me.

but maybe somehow you folks can see the photos better than me.

the window nets look very model like to me too, im just not real familiar with how "real" nets of that sort look, but those in the photo look unrealistically "chunky" to me.

if thats a photo submitted for an auction, i bet either it is a photo of a model the owner of the car had commissioned that somehow got ran or the photo was submitted as a prank. sure dont look real to me.