Model Cars Magazine Forum

John Milner's Dragster

Daddyfink

• 2 months later...

Sorry to resurrect this old thread, but, I was asked for some info regarding the build of this car and I am going to be posting some pics of the process.

First I want to start with the body mods. The body was pulled from and original kit issue body that, like the Ramchargers body, is two pieces like an airplane fuselage. After it was glued together, by Skip Sample, he cut out the cowl part so the chassis could be slipped into the body without having to glue it together and then paint it and it eliminates the seam. This can also be done to the Ramchargers body to make it look better and to work on the chassis separately.

The body from the kit is not all that accurate, but, that is what we have to work with. One thing I did to make it look better was to trim the engine side plates to more closely match the movie car.

phonepics522_zps83448237.jpg

The Ramchargers kit has to be one of them most flexible and jack of all trades chassis for mid sixties dragsters!

phonepics491_zpsbdc20424.jpg

The rear axle is not really all that great in the Rams kit, so I decided to fix that by using some 1/8th tubing, the rear drum setup from the Wynn's Winder dragster and a metal axle.

Luckily the rear end of the Rams car has a separate center section that uses a solid plastic axle for the rear wheels. I simply replaced the axle with the 1/8th tube to slide in the metal axle and make it like a more conventional model kit rear end. Or as conventional as they where with metal axles!

phonepics488_zps5bf997aa.jpg

Just cut the tubing to size and slip into frame and third member

phonepics489_zps11d2309e.jpg

And Voila! Axle and drums slip right in!

phonepics490_zps88799596.jpg

I chose to go with the SBC just like the movie car and one thing you must know, if you already don't, is that the SBC is actually wider at the crankcase than a Chrysler Hemi! Yes, even in the model world this holds true. I had to fit the block by grinding the sides of the block right above the oil pan. The other option was to cut the chassis up and widen it, but, that would also have to be done tot he body. Grinding the block was easier and you can not see it once you paint it black and slip it into the chassis.

phonepics355_zpse7d40ae8.jpg

The engine is a glue bomb out of a glue bomb Revell 57 Chevy Lowrider kit. This is the same engine as the old parts pack so it is not rare or hard to find. I used the long block and some of the drag parts. The timing cover uses a huge fuel pump that looks like a coffee can and that was not going to cut it. So, I actually used a from spindle mount from the same kit as the drive for the pump! With some minor trimming, if drops right in!! Give its some primer and a bit of metalizer, Voila! Vintage fuel pump cover and pump! The pump itself was in the parts box and I have no clue where it came from!

phonepics417_zps9f5629d9.jpg

phonepics519_zpsf4e55d1d.jpg

The blower is a Revell 70's funny car blower and so are the plates. The tensioner was made from the one that came in the Chevy and I totally cut it off and re-did it. The pulleys are from the Wynn's Jammer

phonepics479_zps3f65e99a.jpg

phonepics506_zps05f4f6dc.jpg

The barrel valve, the big red thing next to the butterflies, is just a piece of styrene stock with black wire for fuel lines with the ends exposed. Very high tech stuff! LOL!

Edited by Daddyfink