Forum will be Offline for Server Maintenance ×
Model Cars Magazine Forum

'25 Chopped T

RodBurNeR

Nice to see the old AMT double kit coupe again. It's a very rare kit. I've a build up too, it's in my Photobucket if your interested. Although I'm not a huge rat-rod fan, that's some nice work.

thank you! so far more people have called this a rat rod than i expected lol....i don't build rat rods, this is a "backyard built hot rod". yours looks great too!

Same thing, isn't it???

ummm not really :huh:

Nice build, Bob! ;) I do like old hot rod builds. Now to play along with Harry...

Doesn't "ratrod" = "traditional rod" = "backyard hot rod"? :oB)

hehe! you opened up a bag of worms on this one lol

traditional rod, rat rod, hot rod and street rods are not all the same. i want to give some examples of them here if that is ok. my version of a backyard built hot rod was intended for the feel of a "traditional hot rod" that was built in the back yard so to speak. really, hot rods were built in the driveway, garage, back yard or wherever they could. mine just so happens to be rustier (probably a minnesota car). a lot of people think that a rusty hot rod is a rat rod...we as model builders perceive these things on a different level than a 1:1 enthusiast. you know, we have contests with a section for rat rods and a section for street rods.... everyone puts their rat rods or "backyard built" hot rods on the *rat rods table*....while the people that build a clean looking traditional hot rod on the same table as the *street rods* that have billet wheels, modern suspensions , interiors and paint jobs. maybe one day the people that make categories for contests we go to will actually seperate them?

the way they are displayed , gives a lot of people the wrong impression is what it boils down to.

a home built hot rod is usually done by a person with less money and the drive to make it run and run fast, loud and look as badass as possible! *fits into traditional hot rod*

a rat rod has overly exagerated features and are built by the younger guys that want to immitate what was originally a "hot rod" by being rediculous about how "low buck" they build it , which is not necessary. for example, one might purposely take the original steering wheel out or just give up on finding another one and then scratchbuild one for it made of rod iron and a vice grip to hold onto the shaft and welded to it.....trust me, i saw this done on a 1:1..it's like putting a part on that doesn't fit and MAKING it fit. the guys that fall into this bracket known as "rat rodders" actually make their vehicles rust with solvents , salt grains , sanding to bare metal etc....cuz they want their car to look old and original. *fits into what the meaning retro is*

a traditional rod would be something that exactly replicates what was around back in the day. no new modern parts, all parts fit the era and work correctly for that car, built for speed and looks etc...may not have the correct motor, drive train etc... "back in the day" there was no traditional hot rods.....they WERE the hot rods....the originals! today we call hot rods that closely resemble the originals a "traditional"....hence *sticking to tradition* is how they are built. these are dang near carbon copies of "how it was"... *fits into timeless and hard to date*

a street rod obviously is a modern and often kit car or an original that is updated to modern tech. these cars have billet parts, glass paint jobs, lowered suspension, chrome or painted tube chassis', i know you have seen the interiors etc.... the wheels too...a lot of street rods have low profile tires with 20" wheels in the rear and 18" fronts.... there is a lot of different styles and such used in today's "street rod". *this is in a class of all it's own*

here are some examples from my point of view....

i will use the 1932 Ford for example.....

TRADITIONAL

1lg-vi.jpg

Hosted on Fotki

ANOTHER TRADITIONAL, WORK IN PROGRESS-ALSO KNOWN AS A HOT ROD

20Coupe20front20Rodger20Lee1vi-vi.jpg

Hosted on Fotki

HOT ROD

32-vi.jpg

Hosted on Fotki

STREET ROD

P1010126-vi.jpg

Hosted on Fotki

RAT ROD OR RETRO ROD

DSC02362vivi-vi.jpg

Hosted on Fotki

Most people would look at this and call it a rat rod.....but any rodder knows this is a HOT ROD.... ;)

Rat20Rod202vi-vi.jpg

Hosted on Fotki

Well without writing book about it..... those are some very vague opinions on my part :P

by the way, i am 33.....i build all kinds of models....i have worked on 1:1 rods and more.....i also read a LOT and consume various truths and opinions before forming my own "opinion".... thanks for reading!

I love this model. traditional rods are sweet.

Nice build, Bob! ;) I do like old hot rod builds. Now to play along with Harry...

Doesn't "ratrod" = "traditional rod" = "backyard hot rod"? :oB)

"Rat rods" are new builds made to look old school.

"Traditional rods" are built the way they would have been built in the 40's and 50's.

"Backyard hot rods" are built with what you have laying around with little to no money.

This fits in to both depending on the build style.

Don't quote me on those because everybody has different opinions. And yes I'm playing around, too.

awbcrazy: you beat me to it, but with more words, lol.

Edited by Robert81

I love this model. traditional rods are sweet.

"Rat rods" are new builds made to look old school.

"Traditional rods" are built the way they would have been built in the 40's and 50's.

"Backyard hot rods" are built with what you have laying around with little to no money.

This fits in to both depending on the build style.

Don't quote me on those because everybody has different opinions. And yes I'm playing around, too.

awbcrazy: you beat me to it, but with more words, lol.

LOL!! thanks for the reply ;)

bob call it what u want...im a streetrodder but lately im getting into the rat or traditional builds...and i really like ur's...neal

p.s....i built my 1st ratrod and few weeks ago dont know if u saw it or not...if u did would like to hear what u think...neal

sure, send the pics on here! i would like to see it.

######, I got so carried away with dictionary-time earlier that I forgot to ask what that motor is. :):lol:

What kind of engine is that? That is a supercharger on top of it with a pair of sidedrafts, right?

lol that is alright!

it's a Lincoln engine with a Latham supercharge and webber side drafts.

Sure I remember Bob!!! Heck, I have even slept since then!!! I have more pics too if you need any. I have a restored Monogram Black Widow & Blue Beetle. I also have a black version of the Lil Viky drag '32 that matches the Art Box cover.

sleep? never heard of it. :(

yeah sure send em' over! awbcrazy@tconl.com

• 5 weeks later...