Model Cars Magazine Forum

Respirator For Painting And Resin Casting?

Before I moved I had an outdoor work area for resin casting and painting so I wasn't that worried about the fumes since I had great air flow.

Since I have moved I haven't done any casting but I now have an area set up in my garage and plan to get started up again. Since my new work area is in the garage ventilation will not be as good so I want a respirator mask. I looked at a couple for spray paint but all say not for use with urethane paints. Since resin is a polyurethane product I'm thinking these masks may not be appropriate for resin either.

Also I primarily use spray paint but I do have some automotive paint (only way I could get US Forest Service Green), it is a two part paint that requires a hardener, is this a urethane paint or do some non-urethane paints require harderner?

So what should I be looking for, I know I need a cartridge style respirator but not sure if one for spray paint is adequate for resin and since I can't find one for urethane paints at a hardware store do I have to go to a paint shop or would a large hardware store like Home Depot probably carry one?

Thanks

Getting a bit older and more concerned with some of the nasty stuff we use in the hobby. I want to be around long enough to build all the kits in my stash (I figure I need to make it at least another 90 years). :lol:

Aaron,

I would suggest looking at an automotive supply that sells automotive paint. They should have some good dual cartridge respirators. You look for ones that are for organic and inorganic material. They will also say what they can and can't be used for. When you do, get a big plastic bag to store your respirator from the outside air. That way your filter cartridges don't go bad. Good luck in your search.

Aaron, Glad to see you are thinking about your health.

I bought and use a 3M 07192 Organic Vapor/P95 assembly dual cartridge. It comes with its own re-sealable bag.

Replacement filters are 3M 5P71/07194.

This should be an appropriate respirator for your needs.

I got mine through my dad who works for the local paint jobber. I would try a place like that first or an automotive store.

Good luck!

Chris

If you want to go a step byond,go to your local furnace oil provider that delivers gasoline and ask what they are using and where they get it from.With my mask I cannot even smell gasoline when I am splash loading.I got another for when I am working on anything.Hope this helps.

Well I ended up doing some research online and I think I found out why I was having a hard time finding a mask. A full face supplied air mask is recommended for urethane paints, but OSHA only requires a filter mask. The mask I got says its for painting except for urethane paints, but it is the cartridge recommended by the site I found the info on. My guess is the filter manufacturers are covering themselves by not including urethane paints on the label.

$32 at home depot, also good for pesticides, formaldyhyde, ammonia and asbestos, guess I need some new hobbies so I can get the most from the mask. B)