Model Cars Magazine Forum

GT-R

cruz

What base color did you use to get that pearl to look so good man? I have been told to use white but still can't seem to make it look this good, I mean, you can truly see the pearlish look on this car. How many coats of pearl white does it have? Did you airbrush it?

IMG_2513-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

I have 4 coats of pearl white on this photo which I took before adding the clear. It was shot straight onto white primer. You have to make sure to have enough coats for even coverage. This was shot straight out of the can, I did not use an airbrush. I airbrushed Mr. Color white primer and made sure it was very smooth. Mr. Color primer dries white, not yellowish like some other white primers. You can definitely use a white base by using paint if you want and it will help, I didn't need it in this case. Sounds to me like you are not adding enough coats on your body.....

Hey that's a cool build! Did I miss what kit it is? I know several companies have made that kit. I even found a place resin casting full detailed engines.

I just shot an E30 M3 in that color. Right out of the can over tamiya white primer and Testors wet look clear. I think the trick is to use several coats of clear so you can buff them down. It's tricky to buff pearls and metallics without clear because you can mute the additives in the paint.

BLAH_BLAH_BLAH_BLAH that is a GREAT car!!

• 3 weeks later...