Model Cars Magazine Forum

Best glues

I too like Loctite super gel IMO it's the best superglue, I also use gap filling ca glue and acellerator that I get from my local HS, don't know the brand as he puts his store label on it, testors window maker for glass, headlight lens and body trim because it dries clear and you have a little working time and I use Plastruct plastic weld for bare plastic to plastic gluing, I also have some superglue that will not haze use it for different things. Hope this helps!! :D

You don't need a large selection of glues.

I use and like:

Tamiya Thin when I need to hold parts together and apply glue. It wicks into all the nooks and crannies.

CA glue - Insta Cure +. This is a gap filling CA glue that is a not too thin, not too thick. I can't use thin CA glue very well, it makes too big a mess.

Testor's window glue - I use this for windows, exterior bits, and other parts I need a little time to affix and don't want to worry if a little gets on the paint. It wipes off easily while wet but bonds well.

I also use epoxy - 5 minute - for hard to align parts, but not very often. I have had the same bottles for years and they are only down about 10% from new.

I use CA accelerator a lot - you can glue, hit it with accelerator, and start sanding in seconds.

To add to what others have said, there are different tools (glues) for different jobs. I use the Loctite GEL superglue as it is much easier to control than even gap filling CA. The thin nozzle makes it easy to apply or put on the end of a toothpick for really fine control. There is also a great hobby glue called "Gator Grip". It looks like Elmers, but is much more versatile. It can be used for clear parts, painted parts, and photo etch parts. What is great is that it is FLEXIBLE! So it works really well for mirrors, PE ship railings, etc. It dries clear and can be used for headlights, etc. I also like the Tamiya Thin glues for small parts/surfaces, and Testors liquid glue in the diamond shaped black container with the long pointed tip for large surfaces. It is thicker, thus it doesn't evaporate before you have a chance to cover the entire surface. I also prefer Bob Smith 5 minute epoxy. It is often re-labeled by the LHS, but has a stable shelf life and does't yellow. Just my 2 cents...

Tamiya and Testors liquid cements (they seem to work a little differently, depending on what I want to do), Testors clear parts cement (great stuff) and Testors tube glue for fiddly, difficult, major PIA assemblies that I want to play with.

I also keep a tube of whatever superglue I can get at a reasonable price around for things that I find require it.

Charlie Larkin