Forum will be Offline for Server Maintenance ×
Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT's 72 Chevy Fleetside

Not sure if this would be the correct place but..... Those of you that might be in the know for how, why, what and when on re-issues.... They are getting very hard to find(for me anyways) and when I do find them, they are a bit pricey. I've only ever seen 3 or so different issues of what I'm guessing is mostly the same kit. Not even sure how many different versions there were. I have a few different ones that I had started trying to piece together a short bed with an actual interior and separate frame, opened doors etc etc. That is far and away my favorite truck on the planet. No doubt about it.

What are the odds/chances that AMT will re-issue one of their 72 fleetsides??...

There are so many different ideas I'd like to realize with that truck, I think I would buy at least 10 more if they re-issue it. So... any thoughts on the possibility of that happening? (the re-issue, not me buying more) :)

As a side topic, would anyone happen to have 1:1 measurements on the frame rail? Max Width and Height? Upper , lower control arm measurements? Just a shot in the dark. I've spent hours and hours looking for those little bit of info... short of actually finding one and measuring it myself lol. :)

Here's a link to the kit history I did for the 67-72 GM pickup line: http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=69861

With the way Round 2 works these days, it is hard to say when/if they will reissue the 72 Fleetside. I would love to see them pull out all the extra tooling bits and include the tow truck and fire truck options. :)

Same for me Andy. That's why I'm hesitant to buy any that find on Ebay. As soon as I do, It'll show up on the shelves at Wally World for a third of the price.

I didn't realize there were that many iterations of that model. I really like several of them, especially that racer's wedge hauler one. Very cool!

Same for me Andy. That's why I'm hesitant to buy any that find on Ebay. As soon as I do, It'll show up on the shelves at Wally World for a third of the price.

I didn't realize there were that many iterations of that model. I really like several of them, especially that racer's wedge hauler one. Very cool!

In 1990, I bought 7 different versions of this pickup, in kit form, both MPC and AMT versions, with the idea of casting them in resin--that's where I found the differences. Many of the kit parts were interchangeable--notably the chassis which could go from one to the other, back and forth, interchangeable. However, the plated grille and front bumper could not interchange between AMT and MPC by 1969. There were wheel and tire differences, as well as trim level differences between the two companies.

The Blazer/GMC Jimmy kits came from AMT for 1972, as part of a planned "Construction Site" series of model kits (the same series that spawned the Caterpillar D8 Bulldozer, and would have seen a Link Belt Speeder backhoe shovel as well--the Link Belt Shovel was announced at the HIAA Trade Show in Chicago in January, 1972, with a picture in the AMT '72 Catalog, but it was never tooled up due to the dismal sales of the CAT, from what I was told over the years by AMT's people).

As for Walmart offering any of these kits should they be reissued by Round2, I seriously doubt that, as Walmart, unless they buy a few for selected stores, really doesn't market model kits across all their stores anymore, and haven't for several years now.

Art

Edited by Art Anderson

I sure hope your right Chris, and thanks for that link. very interesting read.

Art, good info there. I only mentioned Walmart because them and Hobby Lobby are the only two places that I know of around here that I can walk into a store and buy a kit. Walmart just happens to be closer. What few kits Walmart has are AMT and Revell (I believe) I really only pay attention to subject matter at first look. Did Roiund 2 buy out AMT or maybe some of their molds?

Art,

Many WalMarts are carrying a steady inventory of kits, but they are all (?) Revell, heavy on snap kits, and all new issues aimed at youth market interests [monster trucks, Camaros, Mustangs, pickups, Foose, StarWars, and Pirates of the Carribean (!) etc.]. No focus on hot rods, drag cars, or specialty kits. The good news is that they've stocked model kits for a year now.

The model car shelf space at my local store is now shared (one level) with Estes rockets. At Christmas last year the model kits had twice as much shelf space; they haven't fully stocked for this upcoming Christmas, so it will be interesting to see the apportionment this time around.

Since you mentioned the Foose series, I think you were right. Revell is what my Walmart carries because a I have seen a couple of those. There were a couple of drag cars but mostly as you said. Camaros and mustangs lol. Like I said, I don't ever pay attention to the kit maker unless I see a subject I may be interested in. I haven't checked that section regularly in a number of years so it will be interesting to see what it looks like as it gets closer to Christmas.

I sure hope your right Chris, and thanks for that link. very interesting read.

Art, good info there. I only mentioned Walmart because them and Hobby Lobby are the only two places that I know of around here that I can walk into a store and buy a kit. Walmart just happens to be closer. What few kits Walmart has are AMT and Revell (I believe) I really only pay attention to subject matter at first look. Did Roiund 2 buy out AMT or maybe some of their molds?

Yes, Round2, after leasing the AMT/Ertl plastic model kit tooling for a few years, bought the entire plastic model kit tool inventory from Learning Curve, which is what RC2 was renamed several years ago.

Art

I see Art, I thought that may be the case. I check round 2's website every now and again hoping for a certain sci fi kit and it seems like I remember hearing something about them and AMT.

If they do reissue that kit I hope they at least redo the grille and front bumper. It doesn't fit well and the headlights aren't even round. I don't understand why,, considering the kit was created from the MPC '72 Chevy and AMT '72 GMC ,, they didn't just use the MPC grille and separate bumper , which was pretty nice.

,,, not even gonna mention the tailgate and taillights. <_<

I would much prefer to have the grill and bumper be two different pieces.... as for the tailgate and tail lights.... After everything else I "plan" to do to the kit, I might get to that and say FORGET IT! lol

I too want to see this one re-issued.

$40.oo++ for a kit released so recently??

Wish I had bought all the Rides issue of that kit back when they were in Ollie's

I didn't because I did not know if all the stock parts were still there.

The grills & front bumpers will not interchange very well because there is a "Slight"

spacing difference in the screw bosses in the 2 cabs!!

I know, I have Several of these from Both brands, and have tried them.

Art,

Many WalMarts are carrying a steady inventory of kits, but they are all (?) Revell, heavy on snap kits, and all new issues aimed at youth market interests [monster trucks, Camaros, Mustangs, pickups, Foose, StarWars, and Pirates of the Carribean (!) etc.]. No focus on hot rods, drag cars, or specialty kits. The good news is that they've stocked model kits for a year now.

The model car shelf space at my local store is now shared (one level) with Estes rockets. At Christmas last year the model kits had twice as much shelf space; they haven't fully stocked for this upcoming Christmas, so it will be interesting to see the apportionment this time around.

I was talking with my local toy department manager about the varieties of th

e kits they sell a lot of what they sell here is oold reissues none of the newer ones and she told me she puts int the order but the manufactor sends what it wants she no has control of the kits they sell there is only so many times you wanna build a chrysler 300 or a dodge charger (newer version)

Edited by chevyfever2009