Model Cars Magazine Forum

'67 Terlingua Mustang

madhorseman

Very nice Shelby Team car! I saw this one racing with Titus at the wheel back in '67 at Crow's Landing near Modesto, California. It was an old naval air field out in the sticks, no-wheresville! But, AH, the racing was great especially the '67 Cougars of Gurney. Thanks for the great memories. I'm a racer at heart and would rather see the 'stang with meatballs and numbers!

Patrick

Hi Jim, Patrick Phil, and Dan, and thanks for the commments.

The Fred Cady sheet is what I used for my replica, and it is a great one I agree! This is a conversion, and I used AMT's 1967 GT, and 1966 coupe cars. The 1967 was a fresh kit, the '66 was a parts car... I bought both off E-Bay.

Basically the car is finished, it was posted up initially for the Cannonball Run CBP, so I wanted it to look more like a "street" car, so the rest of the decals along with the numbers are coming soon.

That's a very nice Terlingua Mustang.

Last year I worked on a restoration of a 1:1 scale 67 Shelby Trans Am Mustang. NO It's NOT a GT350 or a GT500, It's a Notchback like this one, but it was built by Shelby for Trans Am Racing. 289 engine with dual Holley 4bbls.

100_9707.jpg

Do you have build threads on these 2 models?

Richard, restoring a 1:1 of these cars has to be a DA...DARN cool thing to be able to do!!

Please, if You have any more pics, I'd love to see them!!!

That one I worked on was the same thing as the Team Terlingua cars. Built by Shelby in a group of about 25 Mustangs pulled from the San Jose California Ford plant. The team used 4 of those for themselves (one of which Jerry Titus rolled and destroyed). This one was bought new by a Shelby Team driver, Fred Sutherland, who won the regional B Prod Championship the previous year with his 289 Cobra. He recently bought it again as a rusted-out hulk less engine.. Took a lot of work to restore it.

Find more pics here:

http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=67624

That one I worked on was the same thing as the Team Terlingua cars. Built by Shelby in a group of about 25 Mustangs pulled from the San Jose California Ford plant. The team used 4 of those for themselves (one of which Jerry Titus rolled and destroyed). This one was bought new by a Shelby Team driver, Fred Sutherland, who won the regional B Prod Championship the previous year with his 289 Cobra. He recently bought it again as a rusted-out hulk less engine.. Took a lot of work to restore it.

Find more pics here:

http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=67624

Richard, those are great pictures!! I searched for some good reference pics on the internet, with not much luck so I improvised...... a lot!! Like adding slapper type traction bars, and the fuel cell.

At this point, I don't think I'll start all over, but it is good to have a source for good reference shots.

Thanks a bunch for the link.

Edited by madhorseman

• 2 weeks later...