Model Cars Magazine Forum

1955 Buick Century -- W.I.P. --

Ramfins59

Here's something different. I picked up a diecast 1955 Buick Century model by Maisto in 1/26 scale from EBAY for a bargain price of $16. It is done up as the Buick Highway Patrol car that Broderick Crawford drove in the old TV show by the same name "Highway Patrol". That's not how it's gonna wind up though.

1955BUICKCENTURYMODEL1024x752_zpsb080f31

So far I took it apart and removed the spotlights and mirror, then filled in the holes with Bondo and sanded it smooth. I cut pieces of half round plastic and curved them for the trim on the doors and CA glued them in place.

I then masked off everything but the doors and where I sanded the Bondo. I removed the glass and will paint the doors and sanded areas black to match the car as soon as it stops raining here. Once that is done I will unmask it and apply BMF to all the trim.

I painted the seat inserts flat black and left the rest of the seats and door panels gray as they came that way. I cut the police radio off off the bottom of the dashboard with an XActo blade saw, then spruced up the dash with some BMF and chrome silver paint. The horn ring on the steering wheel also got some chrome silver paint. I still have to flock the carpet black.

I gave the taillights a coat of Tamiya clear red and the backup lights got a coat of white acrylic. I also applied some BMF to the center grille bar which was painted a dull silver. I'm not doing anything to the engine compartment (yes, the hood opens as do the doors) because I can't get the engine "plate" out of the car to work on it. It sort of looks OK the way it is.

This is a quick and easy project of another "not your run-of-the-mill model" that I really enjoy finding and working on. It also makes a great addition to my 1950's cars builds.

Thanks for looking in on this new build. Further progress reports to come as the progress happens. As usual, any and all comments are welcomed.

Thank you guys. As I've said, I really enjoy searching out, finding, and working on "unusual" model car subjects from the 1950's. I have a bunch of them in line to be worked on, along with the usual pile of plastic kits.

Tommy, that was a great video, thanks.

I have this same kit, and my hat's off to you for basing a project on it! Mine's been in Project Purgatory for a couple of years now, and I think that's where it'll stay. The jagged door gaps were the deal breaker for me, but yours looks to be cast quite a bit better than mine was.