Model Cars Magazine Forum

1990 Ford Mustang LX 5.0

mrmike

I am starting my last project for 2013. This is Revell's '90 Mustang LX 5.0 and I am impressed with this kit! No flash, minimal mold lines, and crisply molded parts. I am aware that the roof may be a tad low, but that doesn't concern me at all.
LX01.jpg
I ordered some K&N resin air filters for this kit and for other projects. I have long hated the 10 hole wheels that Ford designed for this car, so I dug out some 5-spoke wheels from a Ferrari Daytona kit that I had not used along with a set of tires that, IIRC, came from the AMT '67 Impala SS Custom kit. I will be adding the hood scoop that came in the MPC Wild Breed Mustang kit courtesy of fellow Classic Plastic Model Club member Barry Fadden. My exterior paint will be Tamiya TS-18 Metallic Red. I am considering a tu-tone paint scheme using a metallic gray for the top half of the car but, we shall see...
LX02.jpg
The body with the hood scoop.
LX03.jpg
More to come...

Since McNally already has a brand new mustang you should make this a story based in the early 90's. That way there isn't to much of a conflict in vehicles. Be interesting to have him as a cop in L.A. in the 90's. Gang fights, drug busts,and all the other things out of a 90's cop movie.

Thanks guys!

Those wheels remind me of Borbets back in the day people put on Foxes when wheel options were limited.

Aning1.jpg

Similar paint scheme you're thinking about.

mmfp-1304-03%2B1993-ford-mustang-gt%2Bre

There is a similarity between the wheels I have chosen and the Borbet wheels that you have posted and the tu-tone I was thinking of is exactly the one you have posted, Steve! Thanks!

Since McNally already has a brand new mustang you should make this a story based in the early 90's. That way there isn't to much of a conflict in vehicles. Be interesting to have him as a cop in L.A. in the 90's. Gang fights, drug busts,and all the other things out of a 90's cop movie.

Austin, that is an interesting idea that you have posted here, but the title of my stories has always ended with McNally, Boston PI. My character grew up and lives in Boston , not LA. Besides, during the Nineties, he was serving the US Army. Sorry.

An opportunity this afternoon came to work on the Mustang. I decided to go for the tu-tone paint scheme so I painted the body with Model Master Plymouth Bright Platinum Metallic.

LX04.jpg

Then I masked off the upper portion of the body and painted the lower section with Tamiya TS-18 Metallic Red.

LX05.jpg

I also painted the rest of the body pieces in the appropriate colors.

LX06.jpg

I'll unmask this later and hopefully I won't have any overspray or seeping under the tape.

More to come...

Edited by mrmike

Thanks guys and thanks Daniel for showing your Mustangs. This is a great kit! So far, everything lines up where it should with a positive mounting point. As I proceed with this kit, I am looking for points for modification such as lowering the suspension and wiring the engine. I want to use the kit distributor with ignition wires, so some careful drilling will be needed and I'm not to sure if I can get all the needed wires to fit the part. We shall see.

I wanted to lower the front suspension a bit and this is how I did it. On the lower A-arms and center brace, there are some ribs that I removed using my sanding stick and a chisel point hobby knife being very careful not to remove the mounting pins. This was a tedious task and it took me about 10-15 minutes to successfully complete.

LX10.jpg

There is a single rib that runs along the front of the engine cradle. I removed that with a sanding stick.

LX11.jpg

This brought the front suspension down about a 1/16 inch which made a big difference to me.

LX12.jpg

More to come...

Nice work so far - I like where you placed the separation line for the two tone paint.

This is a very nice kit - even the rear suspension, with numerous pieces, goes together well. The couple things I didn't like - the clear part of the tail lights was a little small and the red parts were a tight fit - they actually chipped some paint as I puched them into place - and the black on the glass - one of the side windows flexed a bit on final assembly and the black paint pulled away from the "glass". Minor things...

Thanks guys!

Erik, it seems that you didn't test fit your parts for size before final placement. A little trimming of the lenses might have prevented some of your issues.

I did a mock up to check the stance and it is almost there. I may shim the rear up slightly since the lowering job is at best subtle. Things may change when I get the interior completed.
LX13.jpg
LX14.jpg
The metal pins included with the kit fit these wheels perfectly. The decals for the 10 hole wheels seem to be made for these wheels as they are the same diameter of the wheel centers. I may apply those as part of the final assembly.
LX15.jpg
More to come...