Model Cars Magazine Forum

1990 Ford Mustang LX 5.0

mrmike

Thanks guys!

This is my abortive attempt at trying to drill out the kit distributor. Yes, I destroyed it!

LX16.jpg

I dove into my parts box and found a distributor to a big block Ford. I drilled it out and added plug wires and boots. The boots are short pieces of wire insulation. I think I cut 16 plug boots and lost 8 of them while trying to slip them onto the plug wires.

LX17.jpg

LX18.jpg

More to come...

Thanks guys!

Austin, that is an interesting idea that you have posted here, but the title of my stories has always ended with McNally, Boston PI. My character grew up and lives in Boston , not LA. Besides, during the Nineties, he was serving the US Army. Sorry.

I also painted the rest of the body pieces in the appropriate colors.

More to come...

How about a side story then? Something like....

Sgt. Det. Adam Troy peers out the window of the Boston Police headquarters. He sees McNally leaning against the fender of a new Mustang Shelby . He barely has time to wonder what he's up to, before the memories hit him (blindside him, really). Like a 2 ton heavy thing from out of no where. They do that occasionally, especially when he see's a nice shiny Mustang. He instantly remembers his first Mustang. He had worked hard for her. Started working odd jobs at 12 and his first real job with a work permit at 14 . He saved up most all his income and finally had enough to buy her at 17. It took 6 months of searching before he found it, and he knew as soon as he saw it it had to be his . In fact if not for that first car he might not have become an officer... More later.

How's that?

How about a side story then? Something like....

Sgt. Det. Adam Troy peers out the window of the Boston Police headquarters. He sees McNally leaning against the fender of a new Mustang Shelby . He barely has time to wonder what he's up to, before the memories hit him (blindside him, really). Like a 2 ton heavy thing from out of no where. They do that occasionally, especially when he see's a nice shiny Mustang. He instantly remembers his first Mustang. He had worked hard for her. Started working odd jobs at 12 and his first real job with a work permit at 14 . He saved up most all his income and finally had enough to buy her at 17. It took 6 months of searching before he found it, and he knew as soon as he saw it it had to be his . In fact if not for that first car he might not have become an officer... More later.

How's that?

Well Jason, that is an interesting side story! And, it could be used if there was a story attached to this build. I choose not to add a story since I didn't want one with this build. I really do appreciate the followers who like my stories and I am happy to display them here for all to read. In my chronology for McNally, he and his friend Johnny Hallis were building a '68 Dodge Dart together when they were in high school. I built that model almost 3 years ago.

http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/?showtopic=42895

In my story, McNally drove an old Volkswagon Beetle which was his first car. I haven't developed a story involving his first car, so that'll come later.

I got lazy last week and didn't work on the Mustang at all. I got out of work early yesterday and spent some time on the Mustang by doing some painting and assembly of some of the smaller components. I glued on the rear coil springs and mocked up the rear suspension, front suspension, and the exhaust system.
LX19.jpg
While the exhaust tips had a slight indentation, I decided to drill out the tips anyway, in case I don't add some aluminium tubing for exhaust tips.
LX20.jpg
I got the engine wired, but I still need to do a few touchups and add a coupe of decals.
LX21.jpg
More to come...

Thanks guys! So far, I'm really like this kit!

I finally clear-coated the body with Testors Gloss Clear lacquer. 3 mist coats and 1 wet coat. I'll polish this out and add another wet coat.

LX22.jpg

LX23.jpg

I painted the upper manifold and while that was drying, I cut off the airbox from the air tube. I'll add a resin open element air filter to the end of the tube.

LX24.jpg

More to come...

Thanks Bryan and Carl!

I love Sunday mornings! Everyone else in the house is sleeping and I can come down into the model cave and work in peace and quiet. I decided to paint the interior this morning with Model Master Insignia Red with my Badger Universal 360 Airbrush.

LX25.jpg

LX26.jpg

I painted the headliner with Model Master Acryl Neutral Gray.

LX27.jpg

More to come...

Thanks John and Carl!

I finished the interior this afternoon.

LX28.jpg

I installed the engine and driveshaft into the chassis.

LX29.jpg

A mockup of the interior and chassis.

LX30.jpg

I hope to be able to finish the suspension on the chassis tonight as I haven't assembled all the components yet.

More to come...

Thanks Niko, Richard, and Wayne!

I have finished the engine.

LX31.jpg

I am a bit undecided if I want to use the Mustang wheel center decals on the Daytona wheels or to use the Daytona's center cap and knockoffs.

LX32.jpg

I gave the hood and body a good polishing with Meguiars Scratch X 2.0.

LX33.jpg

More to come...