Model Cars Magazine Forum

Remove Old Paint

Hi everyone....some what new to the forum but have been building for 40 years. I have lots of older '70's models that Slixx has re-issued decals for and I would like to "re-build" them. I've read over the years that Castrol "Super Clean" works well on removing old paint jobs from plastic model bodys. I have a couple of questions....Do you put a top on the container that the model is submerged in and can the "Super Clean" be used again. Looking for advice. I'll post some photos as I get use to the forum. I build Drag cars and love the '70's Pro Stockers and Funny Cars...not too many that I don't have and like I said, I'd love to be able to "rebuild" some of my older ones. Thanks! Look forward to hearing from you guys!

CSC seems to work best when it is in a covered container...I think it loses it's kick if left open. It can be reused, just strain the larger chunks of old paint off and put in a sealed container for next time. Make sure you wear gloves and eye protection...CSC will do a number on bare skin.

Hi everyone....some what new to the forum but have been building for 40 years. I have lots of older '70's models that Slixx has re-issued decals for and I would like to "re-build" them. I've read over the years that Castrol "Super Clean" works well on removing old paint jobs from plastic model bodys. I have a couple of questions....Do you put a top on the container that the model is submerged in and can the "Super Clean" be used again. Looking for advice. I'll post some photos as I get use to the forum. I build Drag cars and love the '70's Pro Stockers and Funny Cars...not too many that I don't have and like I said, I'd love to be able to "rebuild" some of my older ones. Thanks! Look forward to hearing from you guys!

I have been using a product called Chameleon for the past year. The stuff is amazing. It is a little pricey but you filter it back into the original container and I am told it lasts for years. You can check them out at www.chameleonproductsonline.com if you like.

Rubbing alcohol works as well.I had never used it til recently.I had an old built up that I wanted too restore.I tried CSC, brake fluid and Easy Off w/ no real luck.I tried rubbing alcohol as a last resort and within a few hours it was almost down too bare plastic, the next day,I gave it a good scrubbing w/ Joy and a toothbrush, and 99% of the paint was gone.The rubbing alcohol I used was 91%, it's relatively cheap, it was $1.58 at Wal mart.