Model Cars Magazine Forum

KW COE Aero / BJ McKay rig

After several years I finally got the cab painted with partial decals .

Angel - my decals had that area printed red, matching it was not easy.I think after the decals get cleared the reds will be closer.:unsure:

PC064357.jpg

Clayton are you looking ? I am digging out these old dinosaurs and finishing them up to try and Motivate you ;)

Your paint lines are razor sharp !!  wow.

What are you using for mask  ?   Also -- I'm assuming here you painted the entire cab white and then came back and added the red areas over the white ?

Thanks!

Thank you guys for commenting on the paint :)

Jeff - Keep in mind the lower half is a decal that had the red printed. As for masking off the top half I use Tamiya tape as it has never failed me yet. But sometimes I fail myself by not double checking my tape lines.

JT - that has to be the coolest idea I have heard for a long time. I would really like to see that.

I am still plugging away on it, It is that last stuff on the cab that bogs me down - handrails, clearance lights ect.

Thank you guys for commenting on the paint :)

Jeff - Keep in mind the lower half is a decal that had the red printed. As for masking off the top half I use Tamiya tape as it has never failed me yet. But sometimes I fail myself by not double checking my tape lines.

JT - that has to be the coolest idea I have heard for a long time. I would really like to see that.

I am still plugging away on it, It is that last stuff on the cab that bogs me down - handrails, clearance lights ect.

Thanks for the info !

I'll soon (knock on wood) be getting ready to paint my Freightliner cabover and am already dreading bleeding paint under the masking on that rivet-monster !  LOL.

I'll give the Tamiya tape a try !  It looks like it is available in several widths (6mm to 18 mm) -- is there a particular one you prefer to work with ?

Jeff

Jeff - I buy the 6mm & 10mm refill rolls size. I dont mess around with the dispenser thing, I keep the tape in the packaging it come in to keep it clean and prefer to cut it with scissors for a clean cut.  I will go over the sealing edge with a blunt toothpick to make sure it is sealed for sharp lines.  I will then mask  on the Tamiya tape with everyday blue painters tape for large areas.

Jeff - I buy the 6mm & 10mm refill rolls size. I dont mess around with the dispenser thing, I keep the tape in the packaging it come in to keep it clean and prefer to cut it with scissors for a clean cut.  I will go over the sealing edge with a blunt toothpick to make sure it is sealed for sharp lines.  I will then mask  on the Tamiya tape with everyday blue painters tape for large areas.

Thanks !

Do you also do the thing where you spray clear coat over the tape to seal it ?   Or do you find you don't need that with the Tamiya tape ?

Do you pull the tape up immediately after spraying, or wait until it dries ?

Thanks again;

Jeff

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks !

Do you also do the thing where you spray clear coat over the tape to seal it ?   Or do you find you don't need that with the Tamiya tape ?

Do you pull the tape up immediately after spraying, or wait until it dries ?

Thanks again;

Jeff

Jeff I am not familiar with that method.  I wait until the paint is air dry (not wet enough to smear or streak) and remove the tape.

It is a New Year and I have decided to dedicate Sundays to older or forgotten projects. :huh:

I have the cab interior installed and was able to mock this up for a picture.  Next step is to start on the cab bling.

I might have to get one of those nice grills from KJ for this.

Thanks for looking in :)