Forum will be Offline for Server Maintenance ×
Model Cars Magazine Forum

question about italeri tires

hello, i was wondering if anyone has had any problems with the rubber tires in italeri truck kits dry rotting? or even rog kits for that matter.

i'm not having any problems right now but none of my built-ups are more than ten years old. i've heard stories about dry rotting tires

in old revell car kits and alot of the japanese car kits but i haven't heard anything about truck kits.

italeri makes some nice truck kits and i'd hate to see them sitting on rims in the future.

i thought about wiping the tires down with armor-all or something like that on future builds, has anybody tried this before?

thanks- brian

I imagine a little Armour All would be a decent idea....They do seem to split in one spot, after a while on the shelf, but are easily replaced, as they come off and remount pretty easily....It's funny....It's like I drove them 70,000 miles and had to change them out.....Just like a real truck.....

The tires on my OLD build Otaki 74 Trans Am Did rot.

Also the tires in my Original Revell US issue Car Carrier trailer

have rotted out!

of the 9 in the kit, I think 1 or 2 MIGHT still be complete.

ALL others have rotted out and crumbled!!

AND, I have Not finished the build!!!!

I bought it New too!!!!!

I too would Love to know what to do to preserve them!!

hello, i was wondering if anyone has had any problems with the rubber tires in italeri truck kits dry rotting? or even rog kits for that matter.

i'm not having any problems right now but none of my built-ups are more than ten years old. i've heard stories about dry rotting tires

in old revell car kits and alot of the japanese car kits but i haven't heard anything about truck kits.

italeri makes some nice truck kits and i'd hate to see them sitting on rims in the future.

i thought about wiping the tires down with armor-all or something like that on future builds, has anybody tried this before?

thanks- brian

Hi, Brian,

I have built this Italeri Freightliner (first issue) with their rubber tires in the late '80s - no problem with the tires so far!

post-11195-0-44744800-1390752229_thumb.j

post-11195-0-87400000-1390752266_thumb.j

post-11195-0-13683700-1390752308_thumb.j

The Revell of Germany tires don't like the sun. I built the ROG Kenworth Aerodyne and kept it in a window for near on 10 years and the tires completely disintegrated. Perfect if you want a scrap yard diorama though.

Here is my original KW Aerodyne issue built in 1984: pics have been taken in 2005, but tires look the same today, although I have not exposed it to the sun, but stored it in a shady, half-dark room.

post-11195-0-92350200-1390774428_thumb.j

post-11195-0-60392000-1390774464_thumb.j

I built the Globetrotter from Revell Back when First issued. Rev-US!!

Those tires are Still nice too

Of course, it is on a shelf, BEHIND a cardboard Box to keep the cat out!!!

The Trailer was in another room, with No intrusion.

Tires rotted out!!

Trans AM was boxed up.

Oh well!!!!

well its good to know the italeri tires seem to be holding up pretty good. this is my most recent italeri build, i completed this one about 5 years ago.

italeri makes some nice truck kits, they build up nicely and look good when completed.

and thats a beautiful freightliner you have there helmut!

well its good to know the italeri tires seem to be holding up pretty good. this is my most recent italeri build, i completed this one about 5 years ago.

italeri makes some nice truck kits, they build up nicely and look good when completed.

and thats a beautiful freightliner you have there helmut!

Thanks, this was the very first issue that had the 2-part hard plastic tires, but I built it using the tires from another semi that already had the rubber tires.

I had to hand-paint/draw the Freightliner logos back then, because they were NOT on the decal sheet (probably licensing issues like with the Mack Superliner)

I have the original issue Revell 'Black Magic' Peterbilt 359 from the early '80s. The tyres are all rotted and it's been stored in a box for 25 years. It was only out for the time it took to build it.

These have also perished; Italeri kit but the tyres were from a RoG container trailer. At least it looks like a realistic flat tyre. This one was built in 1986:

man02.jpg

Edited by dodgefever