Model Cars Magazine Forum

Model Master Italian Red

I am planning on building a Revell Ferrari Testarossa and bought some Model Master Italian Red for it. I stirred it up and the color seems a little light compared to Tamiya Red. Has anyone used this on a Ferrari kit? Should I prime with gray to try to deepen the color some? I am trying to get as close to possible to Ferrari red.

Italian red is a different shade than you're wanting.It has more yellow in it than a regular bright red.Tamiya TS-49 Bright red is the paint you want to use.A close substitute,if you have it,isTestor #1203 red.

To make the bright red REALLY pop,use white primer.

Edited by ZTony8

Thanks for all of the suggestions, looks like I'm not going to be using the model masters paint, I should have checked here first before I bought 2 bottles? I may try experimenting with it and mixing it a bit to try and darken it up a bit. Can I mix tamiya a mm acrylics to get a custom color?

Sorry for all of the questions, I'm brand new to all of this.

Can I mix tamiya a mm acrylics to get a custom color?

Sorry for all of the questions, I'm brand new to all of this.

NO!

Tamiya and MM Acrylics are two completely different beasts.

Simply put Tamiya is more of an acrylic laquer whereas MM is a true waterbased acrylic. Paint gurus can expound on this further.

G

ZTony is right about putting white under red will make it pop. But if you

put a yellow base first it will make the red stand out more then white will.

Anytime I paint anything red I will use a yellow primer and not that buff color primer .

J

I had no idea about the differences between the two types of paint. I'm going to try different colored primers to see if I can get the color I am looking for on some test pieces. I want to get as close as I can to a "ferrari" red. I'm not looking to spray from a can, I have just gotten comfortable with my airbrushes and like the way they turn out. Also, I have been using acrylics and want to stick with them as well so I am going to experiment to see how it comes out.