Model Cars Magazine Forum

Sox and Martin 1969 Road Runner ,,?

gtx6970

Al,Tubbs, is that the skid plate you posted off the RR, I know thy used the skid ply on the 70's Cuda, but not sure about the 68/69 RR road runner!

good question, I am pretty knowledgeable on the b bodies, yes, all the b bodied hemi cars (66 thru 71) had them. as far as the shape for identification, you got me there. the one that was on my 69 runner was almost a rectangle with a little taper to it like the very first picture, so, the answer id "YES". the second picture is a shot of a hemi superbird. I will do a little snooping and see what I can come up with if the shape changes from model to model.

Edited by tubbs

• 6 years later...

Hello old friends! Oddly, I stumbled upon this thread while google-image searching for S&M's '69 Road Runner. Looks like the subject has been researched before! B)

I'm getting in the mood to build one of S&M's '68 or '69 B-bodies, but not sure which one. Spent the last two nights in the Car Tech S&M book, which isn't all that much help. I can't even figure out how many different cars S&M campaigned in '68 and '69, and details on any one of them except maybe the '68 Hemi Cuda are few and far between. Doesn't help that some of the pics in the Car Tech book are incorrectly captioned. 

Oh well, I'll sort something out eventually, I suppose. Have already decided to do the '69 Hemi Cuda as the Summer of '69 match racer. (Probably the easiest way to do one.) 

Bill, did you ever get your original model restored/refurbished? The old pic links here are of course now long dead....:unsure:

On 6/9/2020 at 12:49 PM, Snake45 said:

Hello old friends! Oddly, I stumbled upon this thread while google-image searching for S&M's '69 Road Runner. Looks like the subject has been researched before! B)

I'm getting in the mood to build one of S&M's '68 or '69 B-bodies, but not sure which one. Spent the last two nights in the Car Tech S&M book, which isn't all that much help. I can't even figure out how many different cars S&M campaigned in '68 and '69, and details on any one of them except maybe the '68 Hemi Cuda are few and far between. Doesn't help that some of the pics in the Car Tech book are incorrectly captioned. 

Oh well, I'll sort something out eventually, I suppose. Have already decided to do the '69 Hemi Cuda as the Summer of '69 match racer. (Probably the easiest way to do one.) 

Bill, did you ever get your original model restored/refurbished? The old pic links here are of course now long dead....:unsure:

Im afraid the RR hasnt chsnged. And doubt it ever will . One day I'll build one a little more accurate . As to when, I have no idea

Since we moved 2000 miles across country almost 2 years ago,,,, Ive not touched anything model related other than a few purchases

Im in process of trying to buy an old car and if it happens. I might consider selling off some more of the  pile to really thin down. Sold about 65 kits a few weeks ago

Sox69A.thumb.JPG.29e56927d134590d0e13d352f7a6cf2b.JPGSox69B.thumb.JPG.53dc89aaeac8b44b85e65da904775fec.JPG

• Like 1

Since we're on the subject, did anyone ever do decals for the '68 Road Runner with the big RR in the white "cloud" on the sides? I'd like to build that one, but I've never seen decals. I have the Slixx sheet (maybe more than one) but no big cartoons. 

17 hours ago, Snake45 said:

Since we're on the subject, did anyone ever do decals for the '68 Road Runner with the big RR in the white "cloud" on the sides? I'd like to build that one, but I've never seen decals. I have the Slixx sheet (maybe more than one) but no big cartoons. 

Ive never seen a set .

• 3 years later...

Lets straighten up the ‘urban myth’ a bit…

1969 - S&M ran a 69 Roadrunner in SS/E - It did nothing. Too heavy. (See attached) 

Also, a 68 Roadrunner with 69 trim in 1969, at the 69 Nationals.

This car WON SS/D (against T. Marsh’s 64 T-Bolt, the last year a T-Bolt could be legally entered under the 5 year rule.)

The car was driven by Herb McCandless, running 11.29 @ 114.35. 

WHY - The 69 Hemi RR wasn’t competitive in class - SS/E.

The 68 WAS very competitive in SS/D…so to be both competitive and keep their Chrysler bosses happy, the idea of ‘uptrimming’ the 68 was formed…..it ran in the ‘68’ class..but sold the ‘69 image’. 

It worked. 

Re-GTX

In 68 - The 68 GTX ran a 4V 440 in SS/F - this is the pic most often posted with McCandless driving #861 (see attached)

I have no info on a 69 GTX being raced. 

Re-Roadrunner

1968 - The 68 Hemi RR fell towards the very BOTTOM of SS/C class in 68 (Unlike 69) -  SS/C was ‘Jenkins class’, so S&M chose to race the 67 Street Hemi GTX (Not the RO23) for most of 68 in SS/D.

There is a famous pic of the two 68s and the 67 in the paddock at a major meet - S&M knew the 68 Hemi car would be un-competitive. (See attached)

NOTE- There is a misprinted result sheet claiming S&M 68 Plym won class SS/D at Indy 68 - it was actually the 67 GTX flat hood car. 

NOTE 2 - Interestingly in 68, a 67 RO23 DID win SS/CA..while Jenkins won SS/C….Again. 

6612086C-3D01-406B-8F31-A2A79D3D8AA2.jpeg

4B62B9DA-6F35-447F-943D-29980C07E245.jpeg

5582D93E-E5CC-4421-9CD3-D9B6FC7D38FD.jpeg

Edited by Rattus Patrolus
  • Like 1