Model Cars Magazine Forum

Question about getting decals copied/printed

I have a couple of 1/64/HO scale resin funny car bodies that I want to do. I have the regular 1/25 decals that I need. My question is whether or not there is a chain type printing place (Office Depot, etc) that has printing available that would work for getting these reduced onto decal paper? Probably not, but just seeing if anybody had any thoughts. Thanks.

You can either reduce the decals yourself to a file that you can take on CD to a store that's willing to print on decal paper, or calculate the size of your hard copies of your decals to be printed out at the proper percentage by the store (in other words, determine if you want the store to print your hard copy at 50%, and so on. I don't know the scale percentage to convert from 1/25 TO 1/64, but you can find scale converters online).

You'll have to provide the proper decal paper (clear background or white background for either laser or inkjet, and you should call ahead to the store to find out if they'll provide that service on that paper. - UPS, Staples, Office Max, etc. Many sources provide the necessary variety of decal paper, including Bare-Metal Foil.

Obviously, you'll have to determine whether you want to print on a laser printer or inkjet (you can do inkjet yourself), and you'll have to buy the proper paper and provide it. Some stores don't want to take paper they're not familiar with.

Other members here may be able to suggest other options.

If you are considering reducing a set of decals that drastically, I strongly encourage you experiment reducing in a graphics program. Raster graphics (read bitmap which is what scanners and cameras do) can be subject to considerable los of clarity if not scanned correctly. Even accepting that some clarity would likely be lost in that scale anyway, it is best to experiment to see if you get what you want before spending your money.