Model Cars Magazine Forum

Porsche Gt3 Rsr 997

Brendan

My next kit is going to be a Profil24 Porsche 997, the IMSA Performance GT2 Le Mans Winner 2007. I'm planning to do it box stock; maybe adding some small detail, but I'll see as I got along. As for the kit, it looks a lot better than my previous experience with the K8 Porsche done by Profil24. Some small pinholes and flashing in areas that were easily cleaned up. The kit has been washed and getting prepped for priming.

IMG_0764.jpg

IMG_0763.jpg

IMG_0761.jpg

This kit has a pretty simple paint job considering that everything is white. So hopefully it will move right along. But the luck I've had, I'll run into some problems along the way. I'll keep you posted.

Edited by Brendan

Cool model; is there a Flying Lizard livery for this particular kit, or am I thinking about another company?

I don't believe that they make a Flying Lizard version. But DMC made a Flying Lizard decal for a Daytona car. Here's some picutres of what it looks like.

IMG_0290.jpg

IMG_0288.jpg

This is the Renaissance and the Tamiya kit combined and DMC decals. I did hear someone saying that there are Flying Lizard decals out for the 997 but I don't know who's making them. If I find out, I'll let you know.

Got some parts painted yesterday.

IMG_0817.jpg

After the gloss black, rims were painted with Alclad polished aluminum. Rims are 3 pieces; outer rim is a machined aluminum; center and outer rings are cast resin. The center part is very delicate.

IMG_0818.jpg

IMG_0819.jpg

IMG_0820.jpg

The disc brakes are Alclad White aluminum and the exhaust tips are several different shades of Alclad. I'll add more weathering to the brakes and exhaust tips once the paint has cured.

IMG_0821.jpg

IMG_0822.jpg

IMG_0823.jpg

After putting a light coat of primer on the body, I noticed some areas that needed to be fixed. They're very subtle mold imperfections, but would become very noticeable once paint is applied. Some small pinholes are in the front which are easy to fill in.

So far everything is going smoothly. Hope to get the first coat of paint on by the weekend. That's if it ever stops raining and blowing 50 mph+ winds around here.

Got some work done over the past two days. Got all the small interior stuff finished. Next I need to get paint on the body and chassis.

IMG_0826.jpg

Tires and rims together. Disc brakes painted. Some very light weathering added to them.

IMG_0827.jpg

IMG_0832.jpg

IMG_0835.jpg

Electric boxes and air conditioning box painted and ready to be installed. Dashboard finished in Tamiya Acrylics. Seat ready to be installed with belts.

IMG_0834.jpg

Body in Tamiya's white primer. Light sanding and it will be ready for several coats of Tamiya's white. The first coat should be applied either tonight or tomorrow.

Got the chassis and the underside of the chassis painted. And the door panels as well.

IMG_0837.jpg

IMG_0841.jpg

IMG_0838.jpg

IMG_0840.jpg

Some before and after shots.

IMG_0839.jpg

The kit provides a nice PE grill and a nice template. The lettering is a mixture of flat black and gun metal (Tamiya's Acrylic) The gun metal gives it a touch of bare metal look.

Looks great so far. Is it "box stock" as initially intended or have you added or modified anything?

It is basically box stock. I've only added the seat belt material and one control box that is attached to the X part of the roll cage. It can't even be seen. I think that's the reason they left it out of the kit.

The big disappointment I have so far with it is the roll cage. For one thing, it's not a full roll cage, and for another thing, the parts they do have are incorrect. Last, parts had to be modified to make it fit properly (biggest irritation/pissed me off). I had wanted to do a kit that required little thinking.

I know there's problems, but they're not going to be fixed. The kit is not bad, all in all, so far. Everything else seemed to dry fit pretty well. Painted the black on the window trim and decalling starts tomorrow. Things are going slowly for me since I've been dealing with a bad head cold. But things should be picking up soon.

Started the decaling. It took over 5 hours to get the red decals on. I've run into problems with the decals not wanting to stick. Having to use a lot of setting solution to make it work. The other problem I'm running into is that the decals do not fit properly. They should be mirror images of each other, but one side is longer and the other side is shorter. I'm starting to wonder if the decals weren't originally for a slot car body and not this kit. Even though these are the decals that came in the kit. I would just like it that when a company makes decals for a kit, they actually fit. Hope to get more done tonight.

Here's some pictures of what I've completed so far, which is not much.

IMG_0861.jpg

IMG_0862.jpg

IMG_0863.jpg

B) WOW!!! Looks just great. Almost seems a shame to cover all of the interior detail with a body.

The interior detail won't be too obscured. You can see quite a bit through the window openings. I know what you mean by when you do all the detail and then it gets covered up by the body and you can't see into the car. It happened to me when I did an Aston Martin DBR9. The windows are so small, you can't see into the car.

Got the decaling finished last night. Had some friends send me a bunch of pictures to get the decal placement right. The pictures in the kit didn't show where a lot of the decals go. Once the weather gets a little better around here, I'll shoot Clear coat on it and get the rest of the small detail done.

IMG_0864.jpg

Took quite a while to get the rest of the side decals on. Probably another 2 hours. Ran into the same problems.

IMG_0865.jpg

IMG_0866.jpg

IMG_0868.jpg

Finished decaling before trimming the decals from openings.

IMG_0867.jpg

IMG_0869.jpg

Before and after shot of the fuel inlet.

Nice job so far. Two tips that really work for decals are when having problems with decals sticking apply some White(dries clear) PVA glue like Formula 560 or Microscale Krystal Klear under the decal. To get decals to conform and bend try a hot damp cloth(Q-tip on smaller areas) pressed over it, it will set instantly without any of the wrinkles you get with solvents.

Nice job so far. Two tips that really work for decals are when having problems with decals sticking apply some White(dries clear) PVA glue like Formula 560 or Microscale Krystal Klear under the decal. To get decals to conform and bend try a hot damp cloth(Q-tip on smaller areas) pressed over it, it will set instantly without any of the wrinkles you get with solvents.

Thank you for the tips. I use those tricks all the time, but the problem I was having with the decals was more due to the fact they were so thick. I could get one edge down and slowly work it to the other side (Micro Sol at full strength didn't even touch it) and then I'd have to readjust it to get it into the right position. I had to do several relief cuts into the decals to make them work. The decals are just bad decals. Profil 24 switched to a different decal manufacturer. In the past two kits I've done I've had major problems with the decals. Besides not wanting to stick, they are not sized correctly for the model so I had to improvise to make them work. It turned out okay in the end, I think.

Got the clear coat on. Finished up all the small detail work on the body. Just finished putting the chassis into the body. My main problem now is trying to make the back tires fit into the wheel wells. The tires are a little too big for the kit. Next time you see the car, it will be in the "Under Glass" section. Thanks to everyone who's commented and following along with the build. I'll give a review when I finish the kit.

IMG_0880.jpg

IMG_0882.jpg

IMG_0881.jpg

IMG_0879.jpg

All the detail painting for the inlets and photoetch applied to the vent openings.

IMG_0883.jpg

IMG_0884.jpg

Chassis and exhaust added.

• 4 years later...