Model Cars Magazine Forum

my 88 ford f250 1/1 to 1/25

this is a build of my 1-1 truck. its an 88 ford f250 diesel, right now it has a c6 auto and stock bed. but i wanted to do a 5 speed swap and build a flatbed, so to make sure it will look right i decided to build a model.

anyway here it is

Picture1149_zps5690b5de.jpg

Picture1148_zps9f828ad2.jpg

Picture1147_zps7438f3c2.jpg

Picture1150_zps1af5d3f2.jpg

Picture1152_zps366067f1.jpg

Picture1153_zps69e94ef8.jpg

engine is scratch built and i forgot to get a pic of the turbo

Picture1154_zpsfad3d8da.jpg

Picture1155_zpsea3c1b4c.jpg

the 1-1 truck of mine, yes its a 95 front clip 96 bed but its got 88 cab and doors etc. thats the reason for the title

Picture1073_zps4a0b36aa.jpg

hope you all enjoy this build

the dana 60 is also scratch built and ill be posting more as it comes. i have actual 8 lug rims on their way, and some styrene stock to start on the steel part of the flatbed.

does anyone think the rear needs more height? i dont have any blocks in it like the 1-1 so i was thinking a 4 inch overload block would be a good idea to set the rear up.

also forgot the hitch detail.

Picture1151_zpsbc043e9d.jpg

Edited by 88beast

Really like what you're doing here. I have a question about your bed rails. In the one mockup picture it looks as if your bed rails are level and the cab is leaning forward. I think it would look best if the bed and the cab were on the same plane. Most flat beds I've seen have the bed covering the rear tires, some times with small fenders in front and rear of the tire to keep the splash from going every where. What kind of side rails are you thinking of if any ? Have you thought about a tool box and or tire rack ? Keep up the good build.

hey yes, thats a bit of a delima, the stock ford frame does have a slight bow to it, so a little is ok, but i think its too much. i will mock it up again and stare at it some.

the front sits as it should with a sky shackle flip and dana 60 swap off the stock 250 so i am happy with that.

i think to deal with the fact that the rear springs at stock height do not match the f superduty springs on my 1-1 ill model this with a kelgerman air ride setup. this will be the happy medium i think, as i plan to add one some day. anyone got tips for a functioning air bag setup? i think itd be sweet to have that adjustable ride height.

im planning stake pockets with removable wood sides, a tool box or 5, and spare tire mount, but a lot of that is waiting on supplies to arrive.

Hello again Tom, On your frame, if you're not to far along. You could try very hot water soak and gentle bending of the frame. Since you have a real F250, look at how Ford mounted the rear springs. Can the spring shackles be moved on the frame ? Could you use blocks on the springs to raise the ride height ? It all depends on what you want it to look like. It should fun to build a model of your own truck.

well the issue for the springs is my 1-1 has much bigger springs, so since this is a how it will look one day build i went with the kelgerman air ride rear setup.

if i used blocks they would be 6-8 inch blocks which i do not like blocks and would never run them on my personal truck so they will not go on a model of it.

but the air ride is fully adjustable and i can pose it where i want. i also started on the flat bed, so i have some pics of that too.

the wheels also came in a few days ago, they are not that great of a casting but i can make them work.

Picture1157_zps2e70c32b.jpg

suspension down

Picture1156_zps48181520.jpg

suspension up

Picture1158_zpsf6f6be28.jpg

close up

Picture1160_zps592ed99f.jpg

flatbed with suspension