Model Cars Magazine Forum

which kits would I use for the '69/70 Ford drag team.

I'm, considering replicating the '69/70 Ford drag team with the Ford car hauler. Which kits would require the least modification and/or kit bashing for the cars. I'm sure some of you will say that the hauler was made with the Ford C cab and you would be right. I have the sleeper cab by Hendricks and Tim's great information in the MC magazine.

the amt 69 cobra fastback works with the addition of some good headers and such,..as for mustangs,...the revell 69 mach 1 builds nicely,..again needing headers and all other super stock items. if you really want to get ambitious, grab a johan maverick pro stocker, and build ed terrys car from the 71-72 era. it was Cleveland powered, so a project it would be...hope this helps a bit. alf.

yes, jim it will do nicely. both platt and ed terry ran those in 69, but there are many combos you could build. each team had a stang and a cobra fb in 69./// for 70, mustangs again were raced by both teams, same paint schemes, but different stripes. if this helps, you can even use a revel 68 cobra jet mustang, with the same paint in white and blue, ...and run a tin breadbox style hood scoop,//as very late in 68- into early 69, ed terry changed his cobra jet car to a sohc to match race it just before the, as we know it pro stock days. headers from the amt 68 Shelby work on the revell 69 mustang, with some mods. the best headers for any bb ford are the johan 70 maverick/comet pro stock kits. they have that correct look, when properly fitted. as you know, searching photos on the net will excite you, as well as confuse you as to what to build....and with most drag cars of that time, changes were constant,..so try to choose a pic that you like, and get those files and sandpaper going. let me know if you need any help here. I,m gettin'older and grumpier, but still remember a bit....regards.

http://www.allfordmustangs.com/photopost/data/3233/1969_mustang_ford_team_drag_car_2_launchside.jpg--------------------------------------------hi again, this well known photo of terrys 70 pro car may be the easier way to build a great piece. use a revell 70 mach 1 and make a sohc motor and find a hoodscoop similar,..the side stripes are actually black on this version, which may be easier for you to come up with than blue. cady used to do decals for this team,...and maybe slixx as well, but they may be tough to find now. anyhow, just a thought....

Are you building just one truck/hauler and one car, or more? I didn't realize there were at least two haulers, two Torinos, two Mustangs, and more.

dragteam_11.jpg

I would suggest you start with the recently reissued AMT Pepsi C-600 City Delivery kit, as it has the longest frame rails, but not sure how much use the recent Ford/L-ville ramp truck would be for the bed section.

Yes Casey, that's the picture that got me started. I've got the trailer and the mustang and the torino. '69 was the only year that Car magazine gave their high proformance award to a team instead of a single car and the C-850 (according to the article) was included in the award. I'm not a contest builder but I like to get things close to what is right. Things like the headers and wheels paint and decals. Also the recently reisued C-600 city delivery truck must have a longer frame than the stake truck because Tim A said that with just a litle repositioning of things like the fuel tanks and widening of the hauler body to fit over the frame, it should be real close. The artical that I read also said that they used '69 BOSS side stripes. So, as I collect parts and information I feel that I'm getting closer to a start.