Model Cars Magazine Forum

anyone know how to wire a dimmer switch on a dehydrator?

I just picked up a food dehydrator. It doesn't have a temperature control. I saw online that someone wired in a switch and a dimmer to control temp. I have been Google searching a how to but can't seem to find anything. Anyone know how to do it?

No offense intended, but if you're not entirely familiar with working with household electrical components and wiring, I'd respectfully suggest you don't get into this.

It's quite simple, but asking how to do it implies you don't have a good grounding in electricity.

House current is DANGEROUS if you don't REALLY know what you're doing.

Also, unfortunately, we live in a very litigious society now, and IF someone here tells you how to do something with potentially LETHAL house current, and IF you were to make a mistake, you or your heirs could conceivably sue the Magazine, the person who posted the advice, and anyone else the lawyers thought they could squeeze a nickel out of. It's just not worth the risk. Sorry, but that's the way things are today.

This is a great opportunity for you to learn some basic electricity, which I strongly suggest you do BEFORE you attempt any modifications. There are LOTS of really good books available on the subject.

Thanks for the help. Ill figure it out

Im not very good on wiring home appliances despite being pretty good on home electronics(media). Heck, I'll be 38 this month and just wired my first ceiling fan last year. But I can tell you any respectable Radio Shack representative should be able to hook you up with the parts if you bring in the dehydrator. And they should be able to help you with the general wiring layout. But only proceed with this if you have a basic understanding of household appliances and just need some specialized assistance. If you are completely out on the woods on this, seek a professional...but preferrably one you know. That way they won't charge more than it would take to replace the entire dehydrator.

I bought a separate dimmer switch with an electric cord.

Plug the dehydrator into the switch. Plug the switch in wall.

I suggest you get a food thermometer so you can watch the temps. I had to mark my switch with masking tape and a marker once I found out where the 105 degrees setting would be.

Everything I read said max temp of 105.

I start off at around 90 degrees then work my switch up. I stay at 100 degrees +/-.

Sounds like a great way to burn down your house. I would keep a careful eye on it for the first few times and not leave it unattended in a room. maybe I am just paranoid from narrowly escaping third world deathtraps.

jb