Forum will be Offline for Server Maintenance ×
Model Cars Magazine Forum

Brush Paints

Hello Everyone,

I am wondering people's opinions of paints for motor parts that will be brush painted.

I am starting my first model car kits in many years. Over the last few years i have done miniature models and figure models. For these kits I used acrylic paints. Mostly GW miniature paints and some craft paints as well. I have also tried a little airbrushing with Tamiya paints and had good luck with them on figure models.

My first model attempt is a Revell 1970 Chevelle. The color call out is for Chevy Engine Red. I could use some acrylic paints I have, or I could try Model Masters. I see they have that color in both enamel and acrylic. I plan on brush painting the motor, tranny, etc.

When using Acrylics in the past the finish is usually flat. I do not like brush painting with the Tamiya paints, as they seem to thin for me. Will the enamel paint give me a more realistic finish for the motor parts?

Any advice would be a great help to the new guy :)

Mr. Motts

i prefer the acrylic paints mostly due to the fact that its simply water washout for the brushes after use, i seem to be able to extend the use and life of my brushes.... i do use enamel paints usually on darker plastics that have not been primerd as the enamel seems to cover darker plastics better, acrylics i tend to notice require priming or many coats to cover dark molded plastics

I use whatever I can get the color I need/want in.

The MM Acryls are decent paints, as are the enamels, they just tend to dry rather slowly. That can be sped up a little with a blow-dryer or a food dehydrator.

As a note, the engine in that Chevelle should be orange, I think. Chevy only used red engines for a couple of years and in a couple of applications. All 1956 V8s should be red, and I think there were a few years the 6s were red instead of orange or blue.

Charlie Larkin

Yes, the engine color is Chevy Engine Red, which actually is more like orange. I painted this Chevy SBC of our Stock Eliminator Chevelle with the color, and here is a picture of the shade of the paint.

DSCN1641.JPG?img=small

I paint almost everything with Revell and Humbrol Enamels. They are great stuff, but I haven't found a perfect color for Chevy Engine Orange yet. I just bought Model Master's Chevy Engine Orange, though, and it looks really close. I haven't tried it yet, but I think that is the best one so far.