Model Cars Magazine Forum

Debut of the NEXT form of racing

Biggest issue I see!!!! Nothing like the sound of internal combustion!!!!

I agree with you there. Racing wouldn't be racing without the roar of the motors.

Electric racing (though it may end up being faster in the end), will be boring.. it will be like watching slot cars in full scale.

Electric racing (though it may end up being faster in the end), will be boring..

Probably not all that boring to a generation that grows up watching quiet cars.

I personally think a lot of forms of sport are boring (to watch), and though I've enjoyed playing a couple of video games...for a few minutes...I got bored pretty quickly and retired to do something in real-life. Perspective is everything..

Then there's the feminist component that sees anything involving male aggression / competition as being bad and not PC, an ever larger and more vocal group of NIMBYs, and the radical greenies who think racing is sinfully wasteful of resources, so the way things are going, any form of racing may simply just disappear. ;)

Until it does, actually PARTICIPATING in any kind of racing, from slot-cars to SCCA, is a sure fire way to avoid boredom. B)

As far as the torque versus horsepower argument goes, it's always good to remember that there are well-defined mathematical relationships between the two, but that different forms of motorsports, with different rules, exploit these relationships differently.

Here's a good tech article in Hot Rod, for anybody who actually wants to know how it all works. Warning: numbers are involved.

http://www.hotrod.com/techarticles/hrdp_0401_torque_horsepower_guide/