Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/25 Scale Vintage Indy Car's on eVilbay

Does anyone have any experience dealing with ovaltracklegends58 on eVilbay? They are selling 1/25th Scale Replicas of early Indy 500 Winners and Racers from the 30's thru 50's. The models appear to be constructed in curbside or in the same manner as high quality European 1/43rd Scale Resin Models. I did a search under the seller's name and Indy Cars without any hits for this Seller's models.

Having built a few 1/43rd Scale Resin and White Metal European Kits I've seen firsthand that quality is a relative term, back then anything from pinholes to craters, slush cast to resin cast, great to horrid white metal. Seems that the 1/43rd scale modelers are willing to put up with a great deal of work to get a finished model. (I hope the quality is a lot better now than the last ones I built)

$95 Is a lot to spend on an unknown product, especially resin, we've seen some of the "High Quality" Resin Products in some of the questions here regarding other Resin Casters idea of quality resin. The Feedback is 100%, the pictures look great (unfortunately we've almost all been bit by others's ideas of what great quality looks like on eVilbay, even in pictures. Which is why I now question almost everything on eVilbay.)

Appreciate any constructive comments especially anyone who has built one of the kits or seen one of these kits up close in person.

eBay's not evil at all, I thought since most use eVilbay for its name I'd just go with the flow. I'm pretty picky with what I purchase off of eBay, some sellers have a different idea of what is a quality product than most of us. Like a friend who bought a box of parts listed as a "Model Parts Junkyard". That's what he got, a handful of useable parts and the rest broken unusable junk.

I buy lots of stuff off of eBay, after seeing the truck stuff from Fr@ntier Resin on another thread I didn't want to drop a C-Note on junk.

Also figured this to be a big enough community that someone on here had seen one of these kits up close.

Mike, Thank You that's exactly what I was looking for.

Would seem that the Resin Caster Gary Doucette, gets pretty high praises over at the Open Wheel Racing Modeling Forum, I wasn't aware of that forum, wouldn't have had to ask the question if I did. Took a second to match up the Boyle Special on the Indy Car forum with the eBay Auction for the same car. I poked around at the Open Wheel Racing Modeling Forum, it appears that these are really nice kits that can be built into stunning models, definitely worth a trip over there to see some of the great work on that forum. Now to get saving pennies!

EBay Item - http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-25-SCALE-1940-MASERATI-INDY-500-WINNER-RESIN-METAL-PHOTO-ETCH-KIT-/191133628698?pt=Model_Kit_US&hash=item2c8073b91a

Open Wheel Racing Modeling - http://mb2501.proboards.com/thread/6009/1939-1940-winner

Edited to add working link to eBay Auction

Edited by Skip

I've dealt with Gary and from my experience I have nothing but good things to say about him. His kits don't quite measure up to Lance Sellers or Chris Etzel, but they build up to a nice finished product. His instructions leave a little to be desired but any experienced builder can figure them out. Great guys on that forum too.

John