Model Cars Magazine Forum

Clear Coat

Hi everyone, I'm new to the forum and here is my first question..... Rattle can or Future for a clear coat? I've seen a lot of videos and it's almost 50/50 on what to use. I'm new to building so I'm not looking for super show quality here, just something that looks good and I can be proud of. Any thoughts or opinions?

Tough call. Testors Wet Look Clear is a good choice for a rattle can lacquer that lays down nicely, stands up to polishing and handling, and plays nice with acrylics and lacquer (never used it over enamel, however). Future works well but should be airbrushed for best results. I also find it to be a bit fragile. Tamiya TS 13 used to be the best, but is now apparently unobtanium.

I do you use Future over lacquers all the time but I have seen it crack way too many times over water based acrylics like Tamiya jar paints and i would not use it over them.Laquers will most likely attck them. It seems allot get good results with Urethane clears over them though I have not tried them myself.

Edited by 935k3