Model Cars Magazine Forum

World's Most Beautiful Model Roadster Contest 2008

This isn't a MCM contest or anything like that, but I chatted with Gregg and Jairus about it a while back and they gave me the big thumbs up to share details with you guys.

I've been thinking for ages about how to run a contest similar to the 1:1 America's Most Beautiful Roadster contest..see here http://www.autoblog.com/2007/01/29/kevin-a...st-beautiful-r/ and here http://jalopnik.com/cars/retro/chevypowere...ster-232242.php for some info on this year's 1:1 show.

After chatting a few different people about it, Gregg and the ever helpful Mr Tim Boyd included I've kinda got a game plan.

Here's the deal: Build a 1:24 or 1:25 roadster of any body style pre-1937, or design a body all of your own of a similar look. Built it full detail, curbside of slammer style.

You got until November 30th 08 to get it done and submit your five best pictures. Voting will be done by the members on a few participating forums, including this one and will run one month. The first three weeks of voting, which runs all of December, will be followed by a 'final' for the 10 highest-placed cars. Of these ten, the award will be given to the best received car of the ten.

I've got a gorgeous trophy designed which will go to the winner, along with the obvious bragging rights you'll get for the rest of the next year/as long as you can keep on bragging!

We've got an 'official' forum set up here http://www.automodelling.com/forum.php?id=2&fid=55 to post WIPs, chat nonsense or whatever but I'm sure Gregg and the guys wont mind if you post them up here too.

Happy new year fellas!

PS: Thanks or letting me mention it here Gregg, or if you've changed your mind then hit that magic delete button! B)

Sounds like a hoot! Just one "little" thing...(no pun intended) why only 1/24 and 1/25??? Some of us don't build small scale models.....and it leaves alot of good subject matter exempt.....how about "build a roadster of your liking" with no scale limitations...BTW If you hadn't gotten the jist already...I am a big scale builder.........matt

Monkeyclaw: it's a fair point and one that someone else bought up on another forum. The main reason is that, say a particular voter is as interested in detailing as they are in the overall look of the build. Comparing, for example, a 1:24 build to a 1:8 build in terms of detail would be unfair as it's obviously easier to add all kinds of crazy detail to a large scale build than it is to a 1:24/5 build.

Gasman - sounds awesome, I've got one of those too. I'd love to see a WIP on it as/when you get going on it

Hey flame...thx for the fast response....I guess we'll have to agree to disagree on this one...after all; it is a PHOTO based contest; so the models will actually only be judged by the quality of the pix....I think the odds would actually have to go to the smaller scale builders; as there is just WAY more aftermarket detail stuff avail in the smaller Bi-scale; whereas the big scale guys have to pretty much make everything they need....the smaller models also photograph much better; as they are easier to frame and show off the added details....I do appreciate the effort though....thx again...matt

Yeah, all your points are valid Matt, and you're right, these IS more aftermarket stuff available for bi-scale kits and the point you make about photographing small models is true too.

I discussed how the rules would work with a number of people, and scale was an issue that came up a few times. Small scale modellers argued that it was unfair for them to compete against bi-scale cos they've got the advantage of size choice of kits and aftermarket parts, and the bi-scalers argued that larger kits are easier in some ways to detail to the hilt than smaller models.

It's a tricky one for sure...wonder if there'd be enough interest for a large scale 'class', and one for 1:43 stuff too? Hmmmmmmm....

• 10 months later...
This is a one year old announcement for this on-line contest. Someone should have brought it forward again by now,,,,,,,,,,,,SO I DID.

Thanks for posting this Lyle.

I didn't look at the dates and I thought "How is anyone going to build a full detail roadster in just 9 days".

I guess I need to pay closer attention to the dates on the post. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Ed

I think this is a really cool idea that "fell through the cracks". I'm going to PM Gregg to see if he can make it a sticky.

I'd like to ask if the organizers would consider restarting the contest, or at least setting up a 2009 version.

Thanks for giving this a bump Lyle, and it's cool to see than there's some new interest in this contest.

The deadline IS almost here for the 08 contest, but we'll be running another in 2009, assuming anyone's interested (seems like it!)

Most of the updates and info will be on the WMBMR forum on AutoModelling.com, but I'll be duplicating the info everywhere else I've posted about this too

Edited by theflame

Here's my entry to the AMBMR contest.

It is a Revell/Monogram 1932 roadster kit. Swapped out kit engine for a Cadillac engine, fully detailed, custom made bigs and littles, Billet steering wheel. Also, swapped kit bench seat for buckets, relocated headlights, custom paint - purple potion - nail polish, lowered stance, wired brake lines, custom floor shifter. Two months build time.

Bob from Eastown

post-2200-1227836856_thumb.jpg

post-2200-1227836891_thumb.jpg

post-2200-1227836913_thumb.jpg

post-2200-1227836936_thumb.jpg

Bob, that thing is COOL! I love it! Thanks so much for getting involved!

Anyone who has a finished build they'd like to enter for this contest, the deadline is today. If you post pics and a description here I'll grab them and get the voting site built and ready for the start of the voting process tomorrow.

If you dont want to post your pics here, sned them, along with a description to theflame@gmail.com

Thanks guys! :blink:

Here's my entry to the AMBMR contest.

It is a Revell/Monogram 1932 roadster kit. Swapped out kit engine for a Cadillac engine, fully detailed, custom made bigs and littles, Billet steering wheel. Also, swapped kit bench seat for buckets, relocated headlights, custom paint - purple potion - nail polish, lowered stance, wired brake lines, custom floor shifter. Two months build time.

Bob from Eastown

Bob, that thing is COOL! I love it! Thanks so much for getting involved!

Anyone who has a finished build they'd like to enter for this contest, the deadline is today. If you post pics and a description here I'll grab them and get the voting site built and ready for the start of the voting process tomorrow.

If you dont want to post your pics here, sned them, along with a description to theflame@gmail.com

Thanks guys! :)

Check all the entries here: http://public.fotki.com/theflame/car-stuff...worlds-most-be/

Then, pick your favourite here: http://www.polldaddy.com/poll.aspx?p=1156979

Voting runs til 31st December 08. Thanks guys!

Is it too lat to enter, I just finished 2 good contestants. If not Oh well maybe next year. Good luck guys.