Model Cars Magazine Forum

49 Merc Salt Flat Racer

curt raitz

As soon as I joined the Monterey Bay Scale Auto Association...they invited me to participate in a "same kit" club build and handed me a AMT 49 Mercury model kit. The only instructions was the top had to be chopped.

Having never chopped a top before, I accepted the challenge and jumped right into it. I found an article in the other model magazine by Mark Gustavson showing how to chop the merc...followed his instructions and chopped about 3-4 scale inches out of the top. I was surprised how easy it went. This done, my next problem is what do I build.

I had just finished watching the film "The World's Fastest Indian". Realizing I had never built a salt flat racer, thought the merc would be fun to build as a salt flat racer.

The model was built mostly straight out of the box, using engine, chasis and running gear. Modified the hood, exhaust, added rails to roof line, rehinged trunck, ground tread off of tires, added "Parts by Parks" spun aluminum discs, painted "Goodyear" on each tire, the body was painted using Tamiya Mica Red, Fred Cady Decals and a couple coats of Model Master Ultra Clearcoat finished it off.

PC023373-vi.jpg

PC023375-vi.jpg

PC023378-vi.jpg

PC023382-vi.jpg

PC023383-vi.jpg

PC023385-vi.jpg

PC023384-vi.jpg

Edited by curt raitz

Great work Curt!! I really like the Salt Flat decals. Looking forward to seeing this along with your other works at the NNL in March.

By the way, I like your signature picture. You haven't changed much!!

Hossain

Nope...haven't changed much, just a little heavier and less hair - actually that's one of the last pictures of me with hair!

good to see you old friend on the forum...know let's see what you've been up to B)

• 2 weeks later...
I loves it. Great job!!! No you gotta get some salt on those wheels!!! :P

I meant to put salt on the tires, but forgot! ;)

problem is the wheels are glued so they don't turn...so i can't spin and salt'em

this was my 1st salt flat car, plan on doing more, won't forget the salt on the rubber next time

thanx