Model Cars Magazine Forum

1969 Dodge Charger

om617

Nice looking pro street. Love the color. Just a tip for you. Hope you dont mind. But be careful using alclad chrome over tamiya paint, especially their spray can paints, as they are laquer based. It tends to ware off really easily. Most others would recommend using alclad over testors black enamel, not quite as pretty, but it holds better. I used it over Tamiya's gloss black and it looked really great on the paint stand, but even the slightest touch would cause it rub off.

Thanks,tip is always appriciated. What if i put on one coat of clear? Would it not protect the parts?

I wish I could tell you yes, but alclad turns dull silver with any type of clearcoat or sealer on it. If you do a search on google for "alclad chrome rubbing off", you'll see some of the issues people have had with it rubbing off when used over Tamiya black spray paints. Most have had to revert back to testors gloss black enamel. Though there may be some out there that have found other black base coats that it bites into good. I can tell you when I use it with testors enamel black I make sure to get as smooth a base coat of black as I can get, and I let the black enamel dry out really good.

Just a thought that you might could try and see if it helps. What if you waite to attach the headers to the engine block till your ready to install the engine to the chassis.. and the blower and intake till after the engine is installed to the chassis. You would have to handle the attachment process for the headers with a pair of needle nose tweezers being carefull not to squeeze to tightly as you glue and attach them. then make absolutly sure you dont touch the headers at all as you set the engine into the chassis.. And then set your manifold and blower using the same handling process. This way you can handle the chassis with the engine installed to finish up any top half engine detail. As long as you dont touch the alclad painted parts it wont rub off.. And I mean dont touch, not even with a rag or gloves. This might be a option to resolve the rubbing off issue.

Thanks for the suggestions. I have been handling it but to the minimal,and there is no sign of rubbing off issue.

Btw i just read thru this thread,and if you read the first answer,it`s pretty much just how i did it. This said i had no clue

how to start out or have i read this thread before. I just knew it required black gloss as base,and light coats of alclad.

I will do my best to not handle the parts more then necessary,again thanks for great tip and suggestions.

Edit: First answer in this thread: http://cs.scaleautomag.com/sca/general_discussion/f/3/t/108719.aspx

Edited by om617

Thanks for the suggestions. I have been handling it but to the minimal,and there is no sign of rubbing off issue.

Btw i just read thru this thread,and if you read the first answer,it`s pretty much just how i did it. This said i had no clue

how to start out or have i read this thread before. I just knew it required black gloss as base,and light coats of alclad.

I will do my best to not handle the parts more then necessary,again thanks for great tip and suggestions.

Edit: First answer in this thread: http://cs.scaleautomag.com/sca/general_discussion/f/3/t/108719.aspx

Hi Tom, glad to hear you havent had any rubbing off issues yet. I like how your build is turning out and looking, and I will follow along with ya as you go. I look forward to seeing where you go with it.

• 2 weeks later...