Model Cars Magazine Forum

Scratch building a classic muscle car.

fractalign

Over all it sits well inside the outer pillar. One thing I will do is reshape the centre hole. To do that I will press some Fimo onto the middle hole on the passenger side pillar, bake it and then press it into the hole on this side to push the putty out. I should be able to replicate the shape quite easily doing this. The next task will be to finish both pillars and get them attached to the body side in preparation for fitting the roof.

P9290067_zpsf515b567.jpg

Edited by fractalign

I just love how you are using all sorts of around the house supplies, techniques that most people would never be able to conceive, and low tech ingenuity that is hard to match. This is how I build things as well. I would LOVE to build something using a lathe or mill or 3d printer or any of the technologically advanced tools, but with bills to pay and vehicles to keep on the road, not much funding for expensive hobby tools.

Hey Guys.

I finally got back into the build today after over a week away from it. I am finally starting to feel happy about the shape of the inner c pillar after reworking it. Sorry for the lack of photos but I will post them up tomorrow. I will also try and really break the back on getting these inner pillars done.

That will be the next task.

The last shot shows how its looking with some undercoat. I have refilled some of the hole because some their shape was lost with the sanding process. I will continue to work on this side and then move onto doing the other side which hopefully won't be as much work.

PA100129_zpsa0a9fe88.jpg

Hey Guys !

Sorry about the lack of photo's of late. There have been a few areas of the build that I have been going over so progress has slowed. As I mentioned in a previous post, I was not happy with the shape of the middle hole on the driver's side c pillar. I had enough, got the knife out and removed it.

The problem was not the hole but the press itself so I made a new centre punch for the press. This time I made sure the punches on this side lined up exactly with those on the other side. Once I was happy with their alignment I sanded down the face of the press.

PA130136_zps154a729c.jpg

While looking for images of the inside of a Torana Body I came across this sight. This basically documents the full body off restoration of an original GTR XU1. This shot in particular is very valuable. This is the underside of the floorpan that I can not access on my own because I do not own a rotisserie or hoist. These are the best images of a Torana Restoration I have ever seen. I have saved the site for future reference but just incase they remove it I may end up photographing some other important images or even printing them out. This image alone has just knocked weeks off the build time for the floor pan.

PA130141_zps7b319f96.jpg

Hey Guys.

I finally finished off the C pillars today. Unfortunately I don't have any photo's to show you because photo bucket appears to be down.

I don't know why but if its not fixed by tomorrow I will have to look at another photo hosting website to upload the photo's.

With the holes drilled out I was able to make sure they lined up on both parts.

The top hole on the left is a little out of shape but easily fixed. Both panels have been sanded down to fit easily inside the pillars. I will be making up the ends so that both panels are exactly the same same. One that is down I can attach them and then make the channels for the rear window. Those will be the next major tasks before I get around to attaching the roof.

PA140150_zpsc3fc6bd4.jpg

Hey Guys.

I spent the evening finishing off the C pillars. I went back to page 16 of the thread to find some images of the 1:1 c pillar. When I checked it I realised that i would need to enlarge the two upper holes, the triangular one and there small one next to it.

I also bevelled the upper area so that it matched the contour of the roof.

PA150216_zpsba63ec4c.jpg

Here is how it now sits. Its much closer to the shape of the 1:1. Something I am considering adding is a flange . The 1:1 has a flange that allows the quarter window to be seated evenly. That should be an easy task. With that out of the way, I will continue to work around the rear window area, especially the cross beam and parcel shelf. I will need to get these two areas right before I can attach the roof.

PA150217_zps235e2b6d.jpg