Model Cars Magazine Forum

'29 Ford "lakes modified"

wayne swayze

Hello. My illness has really wiped me out from last September, but I've been keeping my eye on things around here. A few days ago, someone brought up the idea of an "Offy" in the model "A" . The red '29 pickup from years ago was the inspiration for me to build the engine. So this is where it ended up.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the good wishes fellas. I really appreciate your interest. Nobody wants to get back at the lakes car more than me! And I also have the '37 cabover, a '34 pickup and a camper trailer on the go....just no ambition since my health took a dive. But with the spring on the way, and I can access my paint facility, maybe some action will soon happen.

The lakes modified will have a full hood, thanks to a Pyro 35 Auburn (the sides are scratch-built with mesh air vents ) . And I've kept the model "A" grille shell to keep it more period correct. The seats are '32 Ford Victoria (AMT). The floor is scratch-built as well.

post-14132-0-36147600-1425579989_thumb.j

Great looking projects, both. Love 'em.

Glad you're feeling somewhat better. I've had a few times when it seemed like a real challenge just to make it through the day, and getting back to modeling always gave me something to look forward to that didn't involve pressure, deadlines and other people's needs.

Hang in there. I really like the old Offy powerplant.

• 3 months later...

A while back, I built a support bracket to mount an electric fan that was in a '34 Ford sedan kit. I used Grandt Line bolts to secure it to the rad, so it's ready to be installed. I also built inside handles for the doors. I'm hoping to keep the car looking like an older build, but sometimes you have to update things like the electric fan. I also scratchbuilt friction shocks for the front axle. I guess slow progress is better than no progress.

post-14132-0-99498900-1434136030_thumb.j

..I guess slow progress is better than no progress.

Well said. Don't forget that applies to your health as well! The key is PROGRESS. A little is still some PROGRESS!!

By the way, black will look sweet on this, but I can picture it on the salt flats with a silver body on a red frame. Just sayin...

Hang in there. man!