Model Cars Magazine Forum

The Durachrome Bug.....

NitroMarty

This is my favorite model that I have ever built....

I fell in love with the real car when I was a kid of about 8 or 9 and had wanted to build a model of it from that time

I started construction on this some time around 1989 and worked on

it from time to time until I finally finished it last February.

Please note that this is not a resin body (none were available when I started this project)....

I made it by modifying a Revell VW.

The chassis was made from two AMT Gremlin funny car chassis and all together,

parts from more than 20 kits were used by the time I was finished with it.

Paint is DupliColor rattle can and decals were made by Billy Gooche....

durachrome001.jpg

durachrome007.jpg

durachrome009.jpg

durachrome010.jpg

durachrome011.jpg

Hope you like it! :P

Edited by NitroMarty

VERY NICE!!!

Most of us know how hard it can be to blend multiple kits together and come up with a cohesive design that looks like something built right out of the box. That's nothing short of a GREAT display of bodywork, craftsmanship and workmanship in blending all the various elements together.

Now all you need to do is get one of the resin manufacturers to model it. I'll buy one!! :D:P:P

Great Job, Marty! I saw it at Milwaukee NNL and Toledo last year and enjoyed it very much. That car was also one of my favorites. It's hard to not like Beetles of any description.

VERY NICE!!!

Now all you need to do is get one of the resin manufacturers to model it. I'll buy one!! :D:P:P

Perry's makes a very nice resin body which also comes with a few conversion parts to help adapt a Polar Lights chassis. It's very good quality.

Edited by Modelmartin

Thanks for all the compliments guys!!!

;)

This car, the "Telstar" Challenger that I posted a few days ago, the "Chi-Town Hustler" Charger,

The "Ramchargers" Dart and Beswick's "Boss Bird are all cars that impressed me to

such a great degree back in the day, that building models of them all

has been a real goal of mine for most of my life.... Slowly but surely I'm gettin' there!!!!

BTW, Andy......

I picked up one of your "Bug Zapper" VW F/C kit and I'm planning on

using it to build a "what if" version of the DuraChrome Bug!

Hi Marty, it's Warren Gunter. I am pleased with the job you did on this model and we have communicated about this before. As you and some of the others her may know there were actually two cars run. The first is this one and the second was built after a minor crash at Orange County Raceway that required a new chassis but we were able to repair the one-off body. That second one is the car that went on tour for two years. If you look over some of the pictures the easy way to tell them apart is the first had small spoke front wheels and the later car had 5 spoke. The second had more prominent black shadowing and flatter areas where the head lights would be. The first car was much more attractive and was the one that got all the initial magazine coverage. I did a nicer paint job on the first one and it had the gold anodized aluminum inside.

Marty, I haven't forgotten about the package I will send you.

Warren

Looking Good Marty , That era of car seems timeless and always a pleasure to view. Your build is nothing short of fantastic. Its one of those cars that must be seen in person, Great work and congradulations on this one getting done. Glad to have seen it in progress a few times. :rolleyes:;) ,, Frank L