Model Cars Magazine Forum

Rommel's Rod sells for $ 1 million +

I see it now. Yep Brett, you are right, stands out now.

You know, it's kind of an example. Most people are never bothered by something until one or two people start p'ing and m'ing and complaining about it. Then all of a sudden it's offensive to half of everybody.

Weird. I mean, why weren't they all offended in the first place? Why did someone have to tell them to be offended? :wacko:

You know, it's kind of an example. Most people are never bothered by something until one or two people start p'ing and m'ing and complaining about it. Then all of a sudden it's offensive to half of everybody.

Weird. I mean, why weren't they all offended in the first place? Why did someone have to tell them to be offended? :wacko:

People only got offended after it became a Nazi symbol. Before that, it was just another innocuous symbol that didn't really stand for anything in particular that they knew of, and nobody took any particular notice.

I realize that, Harry. But what I'm saying is that Chili Catallo's coupe was built A LONG TIME after it became a Nazi symbol. Nobody took any particular notice.

In fact, it has only been recently (last 30-40 years or so) that most people get lathered up about it - or the confederate flag - appearing anywhere. A lot of time passed after the Third Reich when the swastika-as-a-symbol-of-the-Third-Reich was reviled but no one threw such a hissy fit that it became a instant visual pyorrhea. Only more recently. A lot of time passed after the Civil War when there was no big outcry about the stars and bars, but it was only the last 2 or 3 decades that it has all of a sudden become symbol-non-grata.

Where was all the offensiveness for the first 120+ years for the stars and bars or all the offensiveness for the first 40+ years after WWII for the offensiveness of the swastika?

I understand there was ~ and rightfully so ~ a lot of disrespect and animosity toward the people who practiced and proselytized the ideas and acts that victimized so many others, but it was not the fault of the 'symbols.'

Again, interesting that Catallo's iconic coupe circulated for 50 years before Greg Myers pointed out the unusual (and apparently innocuous) marking on the pulley.

> > > As an aside, anyone know if that was a trademark of an aftermarket product supplier?

We live in a hyper-PC society today. "Outrage" is the preferred state of mind for way too many people. Look at the whole Washingron Redskins thing. The team was known as the Redskins since the '20s... and suddenly now it's offensive? :rolleyes:

I guess the Cleveland Indians need to change their name to the Cleveland Native Americans...

Well, as long as you're going to bring that up . . .

I am a Native American. I was born in Topeka.

The American Indian communities don't call themselves Native American Communities, at least none of them in the Southwest that I've ever seen. It's ONLY the hand-wringing (can't say leftwing liberals because that might be considered political) social-agenda types and a few radical militant American Indian youth, who insist on the whole PC 'Native American' label.

IF the term 'Indian' was so offensive to the Indian Tribes and the vast majority of American Indians, don't you think they would not refer to themselves as Indians? Virtually every tribe I've ever encountered in my work in Colorado, New Mexico, and Arizona calls itself an Indian Tribe or Indian Community. For example, east of Scottsdale is the Salt River Pima Maricopa Indian Community, south of Phoenix is the Gila River Indian Community and the Ak Chin Indian Community. That's just three examples. There are are many more.

Interestingly, some - such as the Navajo Nation - have dropped the word "Indian" . . . to appease the social-agenda liberals, not to appease their own people.

So, yeah, like you say, Harry, . . . suddenly now it's offensive? :rolleyes:

Edited by Danno

Having grown up in the South,I can tell you that the offense over the Confederate flag is not about the Civil War but rather its use by the Klan. Same for the swastika (technically "Hakenkreuz" when we're talking about the Nazi's 45 degree angled version), it really didn't become that offensive until the Neo-Nazis came on the scene. Catallo and other So-cal rodders and surfers were just slapping German crosses on stuff and that's the German cross he picked. It was replaced by the more common Maltese cross later on. I wonder if Hot Rod got any letters about it?

Edited by Brett Barrow

I realize that, Harry. But what I'm saying is that Chili Catallo's coupe was built A LONG TIME after it became a Nazi symbol. Nobody took any particular notice.

In fact, it has only been recently (last 30-40 years or so) that most people get lathered up about it - or the confederate flag - appearing anywhere. A lot of time passed after the Third Reich when the swastika-as-a-symbol-of-the-Third-Reich was reviled but no one threw such a hissy fit that it became a instant visual pyorrhea. Only more recently. A lot of time passed after the Civil War when there was no big outcry about the stars and bars, but it was only the last 2 or 3 decades that it has all of a sudden become symbol-non-grata.

Where was all the offensiveness for the first 120+ years for the stars and bars or all the offensiveness for the first 40+ years after WWII for the offensiveness of the swastika?

I understand there was ~ and rightfully so ~ a lot of disrespect and animosity toward the people who practiced and proselytized the ideas and acts that victimized so many others, but it was not the fault of the 'symbols.'

Again, interesting that Catallo's iconic coupe circulated for 50 years before Greg Myers pointed out the unusual (and apparently innocuous) marking on the pulley.

> > > As an aside, anyone know if that was a trademark of an aftermarket product supplier?

Danno people were upset back in 1961 when Catallo's car appeared on that cover. Hot Rod got lots of letters complaining about it the time. When are car was restored, I believe by Catallo's son, the swastika was changed to a Maltese/German/surfers cross.

And Mr. Just, that would Moe Howard. Not Moe Fine. The Stooges were Moe and Curly (and Shemp) Howard. Larry had the last name of Fine.

Scott

Edited by unclescott58

Danno, I NEVER in this thread said I was offended by it. It is a part of history. I am just saying that it is more noticable on that car now that I know where it is. I AM offended by what the Nazis did. And you know, because if it, it sucks being part German.

Edited by midnightprowler

I know. PC run amok. It's crazy.

What will the Chicago Blackhawks now be called? The Chicago Native American Tribe That We Can't Mention?

Amok? Really? I don't think so. Treating all people with respect is just the decent thing to do. If you want to call it PC then go right ahead. I call it respect.

Redskins is offensive. It is a racist name. It does not matter how long they have had the name. It is the same as if the Chicago Bulls were the Chicago N-words. Other Indian names for sports teams are not necessarily racist. The Atlanta Braves are an example. Their pseudo Indian singing and tomahawk chop are stupid and can be offensive. I find it to be offensive. I don't find their name to be offensive.

Personally I will call people what they want to be called. It is only fair.

Have a nice day, Paleface! :lol:

Amok? Really? I don't think so. Treating all people with respect is just the decent thing to do. If you want to call it PC then go right ahead. I call it respect.

Redskins is offensive. It is a racist name. It does not matter how long they have had the name. It is the same as if the Chicago Bulls were the Chicago N-words. Other Indian names for sports teams are not necessarily racist. The Atlanta Braves are an example. Their pseudo Indian singing and tomahawk chop are stupid and can be offensive. I find it to be offensive. I don't find their name to be offensive.

Personally I will call people what they want to be called. It is only fair.

Have a nice day, Paleface! :lol:

Oh brother. Indians are redskins, so are a sports team. get over it. Retarded are retarded, fat are fat, a man with a broken leg is crippled.

Edited by midnightprowler

We live in a hyper-PC society today. "Outrage" is the preferred state of mind for way too many people. Look at the whole Washingron Redskins thing. The team was known as the Redskins since the '20s... and suddenly now it's offensive? :rolleyes:

I guess the Cleveland Indians need to change their name to the Cleveland Native Americans...

"Washington" ;)

>Good lord, lighten up. I suppose it is wrong for model companies in your mind to make models of German aircraft armour and ships too.

hey I am with you all the way! I have always advocated that one of the major model companies ought to release a replica of Charlie mansons dune buggys too. strangely no one has managed to see the genius in my idea.

and you might have noticed, had you actually read my post, that I was just commenting on the historical reality, not suggesting it. but you DO know the swatstika is a totally outlawed symbol in many countries (starting with Germany) and I believe right on ebay as well? and that a kid can get kicked out of school for so much as scrawling a swatstika on his book cover?

its not me who needs to lighten up, its the world that needs to.

jb

Those are not swastikas on the rod or the real car pictured.

Oh brother. Indians are redskins, so are a sports team. get over it. Retarded are retarded, fat are fat, a man with a broken leg is crippled.

Sorry, but you don't get to say "I'm not offended so no one should be offended". That's not how it works.

Those are not swastikas on the rod or the real car pictured.

Hakenkreuz. I believe I made the distinction a couple posts back. If not I meant to. A swastika turned 45 degrees so it's a diamond shape. That's the Nazi symbol. But to everyone but WWII nerds like me it's a swastika.

What I question is this: the Washington Redskins have been the Washington Redskins for nearly a hundred years. If anyone was offended by that, they've had plenty of time to speak up. Yet, the name didn't become an issue until certain people decided to make it an issue, like Harry Reid, for one. I have heard that the vast majority of actual Indians (or "native Americans" or whatever the "correct" term is today) are not offended by the Redskins, or the Cleveland Indians, or the Atlanta Braves, or the Chicago Blackhawks, or the Kansas City Chiefs, or the Florida Seminoles, etc.

I can see that the term "redskin" can be taken as a slur, especially by those who are easily "outraged," as seems to be the case with many people these days. But when the likes of a Harry Reid are the ones who are "offended" and pushing this issue, I have to think there is more political correctness driving this than actual offense taken by anyone. Once the PC Patrol sinks their teeth into an issue, they don't let go.

Just my opinion. Your mileage may vary.

I agree entirely. Words not used in a way that are INTENDED TO HURT another's feelings are simply words. Even when the intent IS to hurt, they're still JUST WORDS. Whatever happened to the little children's very wise saying that "sticks and stones may break my bones, but words will never hurt me"? There was a time when children were taught to take a little personal responsibility for their own feelings, and to shrug off offensive remarks made by jerks.

And when the "Redskins" were named, they were named...think about it...for the bravery, tenacity and courage of "Indians", not anything disrespectful.

Also, maybe if more fat people (me among them) looked in the mirror and said to themselves "hey, I'm fat" (rather than "I'm big and beautiful"), America would be able to do something about the 60% of the population that's overweight to the point it's effecting health.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

Sorry, but you don't get to say "I'm not offended so no one should be offended". That's not how it works.

So how does it work? "I'm offended, so EVERYONE has to compensate for my wimpy lack of ability to deal with the real-life speech of the occasional idiot, ignorant jerk" ??

So how does it work? "I'm offended, so EVERYONE has to compensate for my wimpy lack of ability to deal with the real-life speech of the occasional idiot, ignorant jerk" ??

I don't know how it works exactly, but I'm sure it's somewhere between the two extremes. It's in the way that you use it. "He's a regular Einstein" is a complement and "Nice job, Einstein" is an insult.