Model Cars Magazine Forum

Moebius New trucks......KW, Peterbilt.....others? New trailer?

I can't believe that I haven't see this thread earlier.

In my opinion its not only important what make should be a new kit, but also how many kits could follow the first one.

To make it clear, I am not a scale model manufacture expert but when a model company agrees with a manufacturer to get licences to make a model, not only should think if the model will sell well, the production cost, profits and one million other things but also what possibilities the chosen theme to be modeled has, always with the lowest bugget.

That is way easiest for trucks - than cars - because many diferent models of one maker have many common parts to share. For example a new Peterbilt 389 has many common parts to share with a 388 or a 579 or a 386 or even a 567. Remember Italeri's Peterbilt models 377 & 378 both kits have many parts that where tooled once. The engine, the cab, the fuel tanks the tool boxes the frame rails and so many other parts, both kits are almost 90% one kit. small diferences on front bumper and hood The same with Moebius International kits, both Lonestar and Prostar kits share I could say 80% of the tools with diferent hoods. So in my opinion a new model truck kit could be a best seller if it will be able to have many other kits to follow with a few new parts added or build options to be available for example one kit to include parts to be builded as a flat roof or a stand up sleeper. Also it should have to be able to mix parts with the sister kits.

What I mean to mix parts??? OK lets say that the new scale model will be a 2016 Peterbilt 389 with a 63 sleeper (keep in mind both flat and stand up sleeper options availiable) and then to follow a second kit a Peterbilt 388 both day cab and 48 sleeper options and later a 386 (to have a set back front axle) with a 70 sleeper. Now there are three diferent kits that when a modeler is mixing parts can build most of Peterbilt reall trucks and all with the same tools for frame, tool boxes, engines, fuel tanks, exaust, axles, rims tyres, cab, interior, clear parts and many more parts. Later just a hood set kit could follow just with a 379 hood, or a 367, or even a 357. But also sharing more than a half model (chassis and sleeper) a 579 could be easy also to follow and wait all these options with many-many parts (tools) to share and with one licence of one manufacturer. Of course that would took a long time to develope the first kit, but the sister kits to follow should flow....

I will have to agree with what JT has mentioned about an accessories kit with all the goodies we all would like to see such as a truck mounted crane, a headache rack, two hole wheels and of course drive tyres. A great idea also could be to have an option of a lift axle and even a few interior bits, like a smartphone, camera, laptop, TV, CB or magasines, a driver's clothes travel bag.

Thats from me, of course new Peterbilt models would be my favorite scenario thats why I used it as my example but I believe that my idea could work also for KWs, Macks, Western Stars, as it already did with Moebius Lonestar & Prostar and Italeri's Peterbilt kits.

I tried to share with you my idea and I hope I was clear and not confusing.

Forgive me if I bore you with my ideas and my long text, but it is not always easy to write what you want in another language.

Kostas.

I can't believe that I haven't see this thread earlier.

In my opinion its not only important what make should be a new kit, but also how many kits could follow the first one.

To make it clear, I am not a scale model manufacture expert but when a model company agrees with a manufacturer to get licences to make a model, not only should think if the model will sell well, the production cost, profits and one million other things but also what possibilities the chosen theme to be modeled has, always with the lowest bugget.

That is way easiest for trucks - than cars - because many diferent models of one maker have many common parts to share. For example a new Peterbilt 389 has many common parts to share with a 388 or a 579 or a 386 or even a 567. Remember Italeri's Peterbilt models 377 & 378 both kits have many parts that where tooled once.

You've done quite well with your English, Man.....I see what you're saying....I agree with you on almost every point....

Edited by kilrathy10

579 has nothing besides running gear and sleepers in common with a 386, 388 or 389. It's a totally different cab.

I though that except hood parts and cab and the front axcle setup, the rest of the trucks are similar. Same frames, same fuels tanks, same rims same fifth wheel, same engines. Again, there are so many common parts that can be used for several sister kits.

Kostas.

A Harley Davidson version of your Lonestar I thought would be out by now. I'd love to see new trucks but I understand the money issue I due my best to support your ventures by buying your products. Ok my vote for trailers A modern race care hauler, a dry chemical pumper, a drop gooseneck, Spead axle flatbed. Thanks for listening. Looking forward to your car and pickup kits coming soon.

I would like to see a Harley Davidson edition of the Lonestar. I would also like to have it with an ISX 15 Cummins engine. It would be great if Moebius would just give us a ISX 15 Cummins kit by itself that we could fit into the Lonestar and Prostar kinda like the tire and wheel set. I know that there would be issues around licensing and cost to produce but I think that a Cummins ISX 15 kit would be a hit. It could also be retrofitted into the Peterbilt kits that are out there now. The Peterbilt 378 and 379 used these engines extensively. I have even seen it replacing old engines in Pete 359s. I know that there is a resin Signature 600 engine out there from KFS, I believe. However if you are a purist that engine was made nearly a decade before the Lonestar and Prostar were manufactured.

I was not going to get involved in this ,But I have to. There is such a lack of new trailers ,A new Livestock, Dry bulk , or North American shipping container with Chassis would be something to look in too. my 2cents.

The possibility of turning a base Lonestar into the HD version is very possible.  I mastered the fenders/headlights,  and HD style bumper that is available thru gw trucks!! It's 10.00. I built the wrecker of this truck using the tri axle pete.

Grab the HD grill and daycab from Dave Carey, it's beautiful,  and your nearly there!! 

The possibility of turning a base Lonestar into the HD version is very possible.  I mastered the fenders/headlights,  and HD style bumper that is available thru gw trucks!! It's 10.00. I built the wrecker of this truck using the tri axle pete.

Grab the HD grill and daycab from Dave Carey, it's beautiful,  and your nearly there!! 

I googled gw trucks and can't find his site. The Harley version is definitely possible. The revell lonestar comes with the Harley paint work stripes. 

Gary doesn't have a website. Email only...

Gwtrucks@yahoo.com 

Somewhere in the aftermarket section there's a list of his parts, not sure how up to date it is.

Thanks mate. I see he does a lot of cool stuff. Sour krauts is out of stock of the stuff I'm looking at. 

Ben. 

I don't recall gary having the HD parts on his  recent list, there's several small parts he carries that he doesn't list.  but if your email him, ask for the parts..there always in stock. He's been busy getting ready for an upcoming event,  but he'll reply promptly.  

Hope ya build one, it's a fantastic looking truck when finished. .and differ from the norm

Don't forget to pick up the proper grill from Dave (cargostar ) Carey,  it's absolutely awesome,  

• 2 weeks later...

This is an amazing topic, I am defiantly following this one very close as I am a Parts Manager at an International/Navistar dealer, and I know with the kits that are already available out now, my customers are going crazy! I could have a second fulltime job just building kits for my customers who want a scale model of the truck that
they have purchased and/or are currently running.

Now one good thing that has been brought up here which could work in Moebius's advantage is in fact that shared components are the Navistar lineup.
For example, I do believe that there is already a Prostar/Lonestar conversion cab out there, well the Prostar, Lonstar, Transtar ,Durastar ,& even Terrastar all use the same cab, so the key tooling would be focussed into Hoods, & bumpers. You could pretty much use the existing chassis with minor changes for steps & battery boxes. as far as powertrain? Well, the N13 (new & improved MAXX13)  would probably take a level of tooling but is a stock engine available in all but Durastar & Terrastar. for those you could be looking at probably a small 6.7 Cummins which I don't know if there is anything in the market available for that. (also the Terrastar is no longer being made so I wouldn't even worry about it).

Also another great line that uses similar cabs is the Paystar and 9900. again, same cab but work with the cab & bumper. Chassis can stay the same for both units and im sure it would be a hue bonus for those guys who love to build dump trucks, this would defiantly give them a modern tractor to work with (Paystar).
if there is truly something that would come down the line for a modern Cummins ISX, that would cover pretty much off of these trucks and well, as previous stated in other posts I'm sure there would be guys dropping the ISX in any truck they could shoehorn it into lol.

Another area of interest that I'm sure guys would go crazy for would be a good modern Dump box. converting any truck into a dump truck wouldn't take all that much and im sure talking with companies like Cobra, or Custom trailers, I'm sure licensing through them would cost an arm & a leg, and guys could go crazy with those either polished or body colour matched. Heck, even building a Pup trailer, maybe shortening the dump box and build a small cassis to lay it on.  

This is an amazing topic, I am defiantly following this one very close as I am a Parts Manager at an International/Navistar dealer, and I know with the kits that are already available out now, my customers are going crazy! I could have a second fulltime job just building kits for my customers who want a scale model of the truck that
they have purchased and/or are currently running.

Now one good thing that has been brought up here which could work in Moebius's advantage is in fact that shared components are the Navistar lineup.
For example, I do believe that there is already a Prostar/Lonestar conversion cab out there, well the Prostar, Lonstar, Transtar ,Durastar ,& even Terrastar all use the same cab, so the key tooling would be focussed into Hoods, & bumpers. You could pretty much use the existing chassis with minor changes for steps & battery boxes. as far as powertrain? Well, the N13 (new & improved MAXX13)  would probably take a level of tooling but is a stock engine available in all but Durastar & Terrastar. for those you could be looking at probably a small 6.7 Cummins which I don't know if there is anything in the market available for that. (also the Terrastar is no longer being made so I wouldn't even worry about it).

Also another great line that uses similar cabs is the Paystar and 9900. again, same cab but work with the cab & bumper. Chassis can stay the same for both units and im sure it would be a hue bonus for those guys who love to build dump trucks, this would defiantly give them a modern tractor to work with (Paystar).
if there is truly something that would come down the line for a modern Cummins ISX, that would cover pretty much off of these trucks and well, as previous stated in other posts I'm sure there would be guys dropping the ISX in any truck they could shoehorn it into lol.

Another area of interest that I'm sure guys would go crazy for would be a good modern Dump box. converting any truck into a dump truck wouldn't take all that much and im sure talking with companies like Cobra, or Custom trailers, I'm sure licensing through them would cost an arm & a leg, and guys could go crazy with those either polished or body colour matched. Heck, even building a Pup trailer, maybe shortening the dump box and build a small cassis to lay it on.  

These are great ideas. Thanks for writing this.

• 2 weeks later...

Since it seems that there is interest in new Moebius tractor kits - seems there is lots of interest in KW , Peterbilt or Freightliner.

I think it's a good idea for me to speak up here.

As of today, Moebius only has a license for class 8 trucks with Navistar.

Would we like to do other big rigs? the answer is a qualified yes - the problem is that these are monsterous projects and require very large investments of time and capitol.

We are a very small company and we have 5 major car/truck projects plus the new 53 ft trailer in the works now along with numerous other projects, not related to cars/trucks.

Will we branch out to other Big truck brands? I hope that we can, but we need to get current projects, under development, on store shelves first. Once that's done, we need to determine a subject that we can do profitably, make licensing arrangements and proceed to development..

Please keep in mind that development for one of these big trucks can take18 months to two years, after licensing has been signed and a subject determined.

The 53 ft smooth side trailer is in test shots now and seems to be on schedule for release this fall. I have one sitting next to my work bench now waiting for paint.

Bottom line for new tractors is we'll have to wait and see what can be done - I wouldn't expect anything by way of a Kw, Peterbilt etc. very soon.

New trailers you say!?

That may be easier to do than a new tractor - we've been looking at several possibilities. I'd say another modern trailer could happen much sooner than an entirely different brand of tractor - simply because a trailer is much simpler than a tractor. Once again, we need to get some current projects on store shelves before we get too deep into another new item.

Dave

According to a source, maybe some news at the end of the year!

Your such a tease Chuck. 

This just my opinion, I don't want to start a war by any means. I hope it's a Great Dane spread axle flatbed. 

No tease.  Moebius is involved in the Ford pickups, several car projects and of course their Sci Fi line. 

Moebius is not a big model manufacture company as compared to Revell, Italeri and Round 2/AMT.  Personally, I am amazed at the vehicle products they are offering.  They are squarely responding to American truck modelers tastes.  Within 4 years they have products 2 modern current truck tractors and two modern current semi trailers.

Round 2/AMT ain't gonna offer any new and or modern truck or trailer subjects ever!

Italeri offers a new American truck subject every10 or 15 years and Revell apparently is resigned to offer re-boxed Moebius truck kits.

I say, be patient.  I'm confident they will offer some great truck subjects in the near term.

• 4 weeks later...

Oh !!!! And DRIVE TIRES !!!!!! WE NEED DRIVE TIRES !!!!!! If you threw those in an accessory pack, I'm sure you'd sell more than your fair share.....

I know they're available in resin, but cost is a factor, there.....Tossed in with some other stuff, I wouldn't think twice about purchasing them......

Where is the "LIKE" button!?!?!?!

• 7 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Another one to add to the line up, the HX utilizes the same Cab & chassis as the paystar. The hood would be the point of interest.
With the Navistar licensing the lineup for new models available would be a lot wider with modern trucks

IMG_2121.JPG