Model Cars Magazine Forum

fuel pump for Revell's small block Ford

I'm building another '32 roadster and I would like to plumb it a little bit. I don't see a fuel pump on the small block Ford. Would the 289 in the '67 Mustang look like the 302 in the kit? I'm using the duel 4-barrel set-up from Rep & Min. if it makes any difference.

Would the 289 in the '67 Mustang look like the 302 in the kit? I'm using the duel 4-barrel set-up from Rep & Min. if it makes any difference.

Plenty close enough, or you could just say you have an electric pump mounted close to the tank, not visible from the top of the car. This would accurately explain the absence of a mechanical pump on the engine, and for a high-output, multi-carb setup, would be better anyway.

The 289 and 302 looks exactly the same on the outside, the differences between them are all internal, the cylinder bore are the same at 4,00 inches but the stroke is slightly longer on the 302 at 3.00 inches compared to the 289's 2.87 inches.

The missing fuel pump would go on the drivers side on the timing chain cover about half way between the water pump and the crank shaft, but as Bill says, on many "suped up" engines the mechanical fuel pump is omitted and the mounting hole is blocked off and an electrical fuel pump is used instead to ensure a steady fuel flow to the carburator.

the sixties-style factory pump has the built-in fuel filter housing at the bottom which almost NO aftermarket mechanical pump has. the Revell kit small-block Ford is intended to be depicted as a fuel injected engine, no mechanical fuel pump supplied. since the aftermarket pumps almost all look alike outwardly, any mechanical pump in the proper size with the mounting cut made square and attached in the correct area would look absolutely fine. the combination "fuel pump/oil filler pipe" that AMT provided in many of their small-block Ford engines is simply not correct as supplied. the fuel pump should be directly forward of the oil filter on a small block Ford. another detail possible right there is to add the oil pressure feed that runs close by the fuel pump, usually on a short pipe nipple. the RockAuto website can provide nice detail pictures to work from.

302.jpg

Pretty generic mechanical Ford pump, just forward of the oil filter, photo above.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Photo below, fuel-pump location blocked off, would use an electric, remote mount pump.

iu8SbpU.jpg

--------------------------------------------------------------

Edited by Ace-Garageguy