Model Cars Magazine Forum

69 Pro Mod Camaro

1320wayne

• 3 weeks later...

Wayne,the chassis that is in the pics is for the 68 Camaro,I know this because i have both of the TDR 68 & 69 Camaro bodys and chassis.The back halfs are different.The 69 Camaro body wont fit the 68 chassis

I was home this weekend and was able to spend a small amount of time on this one. Sorry no pictures for any updates but a little information to share. First, I cut away all of the bracing that comes with these bodies and did some test fitting of the chassis. What I thought would be true turns out to be fact. The 68 chassis fits just fine inside the 69 body. After all, there are only minor differences from a 68 and 69 Camaro and the inner body dimensions should be pretty close to the same. The only area that comes up short are the rear most body mounting braces on the chassis. Adding a small amount of material will be no effort at all to make this work.

Secondly, as thin as these bodies are I have to say that whatever the material is that is used to create these bodies is pretty durable. Even with a Dremel tool the sanding process on trimming off the bracing mounts was a chore. The material just did not want to sand off. Very hard plastic compound. I was able to clean up the body and get some primer sprayed on so the next step, when I'm home again, will be smooth sand the body and lose the texture from the printing process.

• 3 weeks later...

Been messing around with this just a bit while I've been home. Removed all of the support bracing and added a light coat of primer to see just how much texture I would be dealing with. I've already started the sanding process but with these bodies you want to go slow as to not remove any fine bodywork details. It's coming along but will take a bit more sanding to get it ready for final primer and eventually paint. I also test fit the chassis which fits perfectly. And I messed with seeing how it would look with tires and wheels mocked up as well.

photo-vi.jpg

photo-vi.jpg

photo1-vi.jpg

Edited by 1320wayne

Wayne...nice work man. I am digging the mock up with the rims and tires. This is gonna be a great build. I admire your dedication to taking your time and getting the body sanded and prepped just right. I know what you mean you don't want to take too much off too fast so you don't lose any detail.

Edited by Mooneyzs