Model Cars Magazine Forum

1971 Cuda Questions

I recently watched the Graveyard Carz Phantasm Cuda project and am thinking about trying to replicate that car. It looks so totally awesome in triple black.. but my questions are as follows:

Which kit would be the best starting point as to being accurate proportionately?

The car will be a 340 car and not the kitted Hemi one - what would be a good donor kit for the proper non-hemi chassis and engine?

Is there a black "340" Billboard decal for a 71 Cuda available from an aftermarket supplier as it seems that that kit is only available in Hemi form?

I'm not a Mopar guru so is there anything that someone who has done a project like this before can advise as to difficulties, unavailable components - decals, etc??

Revell has a 71 Cuda out now that's a good starting point, as for a 340 amt 71 duster will do the tick. You'll need a different belt set up to run no ac tho. As for a billboard I have no clue I'd check Keith marks site for those.

Edited by ianguilly

Joe Handley, on 02 Oct 2014 - 9:44 PM, said:Joe Handley, on 02 Oct 2014 - 9:44 PM, said:

I didn't think the original movie car used billboards, it was just a straight up triple black 340 Cuda with electrical issues and Cragars.

The original movie car was indeed devoid of billboards. But the car that I want to replicate is the Cuda that was restored as a "tribute car" on the Graveyard Carz series. It had the 340 billboard treatment - black on black. It's a very subtle, clean contrast that really adds something special to that car over the movie car. The movie car is OK but the restored one with the proper rally wheels and louvers and nice paint - wow!! I think that it would make an awesome project.

By the way - Kieth Marks does have the '71 340 billboard decals... thank you for that lead. :)

Edited by impcon

Firebird Designs also offers "340" billboards- to get the effect you're looking for you may need to dullcote the decals to get a flat finish

Looks like just about all of the Graveyard Carz version can be built out of the box with the Monogram Hemi 'cuda kit

For a 1/24 340 (although it seems like a may be a little oversized) you could use the engine from a Monogram T/A Challenger (or the Revell AAR) Since they're using a shaker hood you could probably get away with keeping the 6 pak setup although a convincing 4 barrel setup shouldn't be too tough to come up with.

The Monogram 69 Super Bee and 70 GTX (and later revised 70 Road Runner) have a bigger diameter Magnum 500 style road wheel than most 1/25 versions as well as a slightly taller and skinnier tire that should make a convincing 70 series redline

Thanks for the input guys. I just bought a Cuda kit - now I have to get the rest of the pieces together. Thanks for the pointers on the tires and engine, Chris. While I really like the Magnum 500 wheels, I'll go with the Duster style stock rallys like the TV car wore once the project was completed. The Magnums were borrowed from a Daytona, I believe just to keep the Cuda mobile. Those wheels with the redlines sure did look good on it though, didn't they?

I never really cared all that much for the Cuda until I watched that one being built on that television show. Like the Challengers of that vintage, those cars sure are heart stopping in black! I still think that the '70 Challenger is the by far the prettiest Mopar of that era, but watching Graveyard Carz has given me a whole new appreciation for all of the Mopar muscle cars although I have always liked them. I also really like the 67 GTX and 69 Road Runners, but the Challenger really appeals to me and has since they were new. I remember those cars and now wish that I had paid more attention to them when they were new and I recall seeing either a Superbird or Daytona ( can't recall which but I think that it was a 'Bird ) in the show room of a Chrysler dealership in Winnipeg back in the day. It seemed like a real oddity back then and I wish now that I had went in and looked at it. Of course, they were just new cars back then, weren't they? Who could have at that time imagined them demanding the prices that they do today and that the muscle car era would be so short lived?

I'm not at all stuck on so called "reality shows" and I know that everything is scripted, but having worked in a place where guys goof around like those four fellows do makes the program entertaining as well as educational from an automotive standpoint. I'd like to see the program centered totally on the restoration process but most viewers want the drama and humor too, I guess. Regardless, it is one of my all time favorite TV shows and I really appreciate it being aired into its 4th season coming up. I intend on visiting that shop in person in the next year or so to meet the people and see the workmanship first hand. I have painted a few cars and I can sure appreciate the feeling of satisfaction once the project is past the "ugly stage" and painting and the reassembly begins. Until you have totally disassembled a car as they do, and then put it back together, it is impossible to really appreciate the amount of time, effort and love that goes into such a project. Seeing a car put back as close as humanly possible to the way it was originally built is a nice change from what many shops do and call a "restoration". There is a huge difference between a "refurbish" and a "restoration" IMHO. Mind you, there is a huge difference in the cost as well.

I would get the Monogram '71 'Cuda and '70 Challenger. When you're done with the 'Cuda, you could still build a wicked Hemi Challenger with the leftover parts. One thing to remember with the Monogram '71 is to mold in the seam between the front fenders and valence panel and cut in the seams where they actually go. It's also a good idea to install the rear valence before primer and paint. It's a bear to get it in have it look decent after the chassis is in. It makes the chassis a little tougher to get in. But it makes the finished model look so much better. Another thing I did with mine was I cut the grille loose from the valence panel. It made painting and detailing it so much easier. I really like your idea. I may have to try something similar sometime.

I almost wish I hadn't seen that photo Andy. It makes me want to build one myself! Luckily, I don't have one in the stash ATM or I would be starting yet another project.

• 2 weeks later...