Model Cars Magazine Forum

Finally a little good news.

charlie8575

Well, it wasn't what I had in mind, but I'm working again. Part-time, but it's stable and can give me enough of a lead so I can get some other things moving.

I'm now apprenticing to teach driver's ed. This was really the last thing I ever expected to find myself doing, but a friend of mine started doing this earlier this year, and was talking to me about it, and I said "let me see what happens over the summer with my other job hunting." Well, nothing happened, so here I am.

The training takes some time, about 60 class hours, give or take, total, and then a test from the Registry of Motor Vehicles, which I have to pass with at least a 90%.

The training consists of observing in-car instruction, observing a class, and giving in-car instruction.

It's been interesting, so far I've almost been hospitalized four times!

But, it is a job....and it could be a decent one over the long term.

Charlie Larkin

Good news, and good luck.

Your above comment reminds me of the day I was in drivers ed and the kid that was driving me home went of the road twice. I asked the teacher if he was going to pick me up at the same time the next day , without a pause he said " if I am still alive" . LOL He was our teacher at school and the head basketball coach. We all knew him pretty well.

Great news charlie , maybe you could wear a football uniform so you don't get hurt anymore .

No injuries. A few close calls, and one genuine near-miss when a girl froze in the middle of a left-hand turn on a compound upgrade with a pickup going well in excess of posted speed almost hit us, but I was in the back seat, my friend would've been the one in serious trouble.

The other issues were kids still learning how to turn left and the same girl above, who's afraid of driving, and not getting up to speed on Rt. 20 fast enough with a long line of traffic, including a couple of big trucks, coming up behind us. And us in a tiny Chevy Cobalt that's a torture device for more than two adults.

Charlie Larkin