Forum will be Offline for Server Maintenance ×
Model Cars Magazine Forum

What Color Was the ORIGINAL Monkeemobile?

Snake,i have a pretty decent eye for color,and have done some research,best I can tell is the original car was 1967 Pontiac "Regimental Red" exclusive to the GTO,sure could be wrong,but it looks like a real close match to 1:1 samples I've seen..................................Mark

Snake,i have a pretty decent eye for color,and have done some research,best I can tell is the original car was 1967 Pontiac "Regimental Red" exclusive to the GTO,sure could be wrong,but it looks like a real close match to 1:1 samples I've seen..................................Mark

Very interesting. I wonder if that color would have been available to Jeffries when he built the car in mid-1966.

And then there's that interview I have with Jeffries in a 1966 magazine, where he said it was 25 (I think) hand-rubbed coats of "candy Wine Burgundy." The color photo on the cover of that magazine shows a slight pinkish tint, what I'd call "strawberry" red. And it's not that the magazine is old and faded. It's looked that way since I bought it off the newsstand in 1966.

You pretty much need a color analyzer or formula. I find most photos confusing and lead to the wrong conclusions and arguments. Giving the ability of a program like photoshop and such, and artificially and by nature, photos can change appearance of colors.

• 2 years later...

Very interesting. I wonder if that color would have been available to Jeffries when he built the car in mid-1966.

And then there's that interview I have with Jeffries in a 1966 magazine, where he said it was 25 (I think) hand-rubbed coats of "candy Wine Burgundy." The color photo on the cover of that magazine shows a slight pinkish tint, what I'd call "strawberry" red. And it's not that the magazine is old and faded. It's looked that way since I bought it off the newsstand in 1966.

Not to rehash an old thread. But I have one of these in paint now. and was doing a google search for info and found this old post

In an article I found last night  where one of the cars was under going restoration. They stated the original base car they started with was blue, It was initially painted a candy red, but due to filming issues the car was repainted a bright red very early on

Not to rehash an old thread. But I have one of these in paint now. and was doing a google search for info and found this old post

In an article I found last night  where one of the cars was under going restoration. They stated the original base car they started with was blue, It was initially painted a candy red, but due to filming issues the car was repainted a bright red very early on

That makes sense.

The TV captures on page 1 of this thread look almost like Model Master Italian Red, a very orange-ish red shade, more orange than Chevy Engine Red (a brilliant red-orange).

At this point, I think one could paint one's Monkeemobile in just about any shade of "red" and it could be considered accurate for some point in the car's life. :lol:

That makes sense.

The TV captures on page 1 of this thread look almost like Model Master Italian Red, a very orange-ish red shade, more orange than Chevy Engine Red (a brilliant red-orange).

At this point, I think one could paint one's Monkeemobile in just about any shade of "red" and it could be considered accurate for some point in the car's life. :lol:

Agreed

I painted the body to mine maybe 2 or 3 months ago. And I think I used plain told testors red . For Interior color I am going with is Tamiya light deck tan with a flat clear top coat

A good question is  when did the car get the lettering on the doors ?  I can find all kinds of pictures with and without it .

A good question is  when did the car get the lettering on the doors ?  I can find all kinds of pictures with and without it .

I think Harry said on page 1 that the lettering was added for Season 2 of the TV show. I'm pretty sure that the original issue of the kit had the decals, although at that time I'd never seen the car (pictures or on TV) with the door logos. But I could be wrong about that. Hell, it WAS 50 years ago. :blink: