Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/25 AMT '69 Chevrolet Corvair

As of last night I got both the stock '69 Corvair kit, and the Chevooom Corvair Funny Car kit. I have questions about the tires in the stock Covair kit. Man, do they look small! How do these fit and look when they are on the kit? They are smaller than a molded plastic tire I can also see in the kit.

I do like the fact they restored the clear red taillights to the kit. The last one I built was the Prestige version from the 1980's. That one I believe had chrome taillights that needed to be painted. No big deal. But I like the clear red ones better. Another thing I like about the clear red ones, is the provision for the chrome backup lights. That's kind of cool. Beyond that it looks like same old Corvair kit I've always loved. Looking at the instructions, I really like the detail of the engine and the rear suspension. Easy to build with just enough detail.

The Chevooom Corvair is new to me. I like what I've seen so far after opening the box. It looks like the exact same body as in the stock '69 kit. Even the same clear red taillights with the provision for the backup lights. But no chrome piece for the backup lamps. That's okay, the drag car doesn't need backup lights. They're taken out to let more heat escape from the big V-8. Which the decals say is a 427. A 427 what? Looks like a Chrysler 426 Hemi to me. Also of interest are the '66 Barracuda taillights on the chrome tree. It gives you a hint of the origins of this kit.

The only question I have about the Chevooom, is how does the body mount on to the chassis? I see no provisions for it to tilt up in the normal funny car manner. Look at the instructions, I almost get the impression the body is just set up to lose on the chassis. Does anybody know anything about this?

All in all, I'm happy with both kits. And im looking forward to adding the Corvair powered Piranha Spy Car kit in the near future. I love just about anything tied to Chevy's misunderstood rear engined car.

Scott

Edited by unclescott58

Concerning the taillights, it's good to hear that they restored the clear red ones that used to come in the kits. I never used the chrome plugs the Prestige and other kits came with, getting replacement clear red ones from Modelhaus. They also have the chrome backup inserts. But of late, I've been using some clear plastic tree material that i found was about the same diameter, or filing down near-correct diameter material. They look a lot better than even the chrome inserts.

And speaking of those wretched chrome plugs, they are actually just the ticket to use on a '65 500 type model, if one cares to do such a model. The backups were optional until '66, so the plugs are perfect for that use.

As to tires, I've taken to using Modelhaus tires T-265 promo whitewalls. Just cut the promo backing out and they fit any stock Corvair wheel inner and cover combo perfectly.

I haven't gotten one of the new issues. Guess I need to check one out. Am thinking of doing a plain '65 500 anyway, if I can get a spare vintage '65 body. It'll be a stock version to go along with my green '66 500 2 door sedan "what if" car (see previous post).

To convert the chrome taillights to 1966 specs, I use the chrome taillights, but strip the chrome off before I reshape the part so they're individual taillights, and not the traditional part. I also drill out the center of the taillights, paint them with Tamiya TS-17 Gloss Aluminum, or Tamiya TS-30 Silver Leaf, and then spray a final coat of Tamiya TS-74 Clear Red, to give them a more appropriate look. Once the paint has dried, I take a sewing needle, and rub the inside of the hole with 5 Minute Epoxy before I insert a suitably-sized piece of aluminum tubing into the hole that I've drilled using a pin vise. For 1965 specs, I would remove the piece in the middle that makes them look like they're molded together, and reshape the ends that were cut to blend in with the taillight, strip the paint, prime them, and then use the same combination of Tamiya sprays to paint them.