Model Cars Magazine Forum

Diamond Reo dump truck

Tonight I scratch built the tarp cover for the dump box. The frame "bow" is 16 thou rod , and the torsion spring mounts were made from plastic strip. I punched a few discs for the springs.

Searching for suitable material for the canvas tarp, I settled on airplane tissue from lhs. A light dusting of acrylic paint, and it should look the part..

20141110_213140-vi.jpg20141110_213211-vi.jpg20141111_210057-vi.jpg

The windshield received a light dusting of dullcoat to create the wiper sweep..it dried a tad heavy, but a quick swipe w Future will blend it . The kit muffler annoyed me. The sprue gates were cast right into the heat shield, and sanding them away ruined the pattern. I decided to replace the part w plastic tube, giving it an aftermarket muffler look. I'll apply a few layers of rust for the look I'm after

20141117_170051-vi.jpg

20141117_165915-vi.jpg20141117_170035-vi.jpg20141117_170012-vi.jpg

I added chalk pastels in rust shades to the muffler to create the crusty rust seen in pics. Ordinary tap water held the powder together. The frame also received a few streaks of this mix, but kept light.

The photo's don't show the dust buildup on the box very well, but it was airbrushed w Tamiya deck tan and buff along the box bottom and where dirt would spray up from traveling.

Last thing I did was the warning sign on the back, a quick image search of the sign and printed off. I added this for a little color.. :rolleyes:

I was advised to add a light load to the box, since the drop axle was down. Blue foam made a fake floor, then cheap cat littler topped off the load..