Model Cars Magazine Forum

Minuteman III booster transport vehicle

I just found this while cruising around on the inter-webs today.

080731-F-9999X-001_zps63c5f167.jpg

looks like a Pete 362 with lots of wheels hauling a trailer with a rocket booster or an unarmed Minuteman III intercontinental ballistic missile.

I also found an article from 2008 stating that a Minuteman III booster transport vehicle tipped over on the gravel access road, dumping the 75,000-pound rocket booster on the ground after the road gave out under the truck. No injuries were suffered but it did take $5.6 million to recover.

overturned_usaf_missile_truck_north_dako

Scary :wacko:

I am sorry Andy but is not a weather balloon trailer. LOL. It is a Minuteman missile Transporter-Erector. Look it up on google and it will come up with some pretty cool pictures of the rig. It a real beast in my books

This was the old transporter

IMG_0029_zpsd7f7ead6.jpg

fig13_zpsfdd829a9.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LGM-30_Minuteman

Edited by Car Man

This reminds me of the USAF Minuteman railroad launcher I saw at the USAF Museum back in June 2013! The concept was, Minuteman missiles that could be moved around the US at random, in ordinary freight trains, and if called upon, could be launched, without the Soviet Union knowing just where they came from:

PeacekeeperICBMRRcar.jpg

Art

Wow...That's a pretty cool setup....Doesn't seem to be the most practical thing, though....Seeing as We have submarines that can move quite a few of them around without a problem.....I would have thought that maybe this was cheaper, but it did cost us $5.6 million to recover the one that just "tipped over"..... :D Things that make you go, "Hmmmm...."

Edited by kilrathy10