Model Cars Magazine Forum

06 Zo6 Vette

carro

I want to start by wishing everybody a happy new year!

New year new projects. Last year I only completed one model and it didn't turn out the way I pictured it. This year I intend to start and finish more than oneemotion-7.gif so in order to do that I'm going to have to do things a different way and work on more than one model at a timeemotion-7.gif. Here is my new w.i.p. The color I'll be using on this one will be Auto Air transparent green so it will have either a silver base coat or gold base coat (maybe both?) So far I got rid of the molded in mesh grill and next to spray some primer and see what imperfections i have to deal with. Thanks for looking!

P6050713_zpsda59fa90.jpgP1010462_zps6dc0a793.jpgP1010460_zps813252e3.jpg

Cool project, I'll be watching.

Thanks!!

So far i started painting the engine and some suspension parts and also started removing flash and looking for imperfections on the body. The body is twisted so hopefully I'll be able to straighten it out. The last 3 models I have started have given me nothing but headaches with warped or twisted frames or bodiesemotion-39.gif . Well here are some pics. Thanks for looking!

P1060464_zpsee4c9e36.jpgP1060465_zps556e3d27.jpgP1060466_zps93e10481.jpg

nice, i think the gold base is the better choice. Any thoughts on the wheels? gonna paint them to accent the green or leave chrome? keep it up!

Thanks!on the wheels,they won't be chrome I just don't know if to go gloss black,charcoal, or black chrome.

i think gloss black would complement that green very well.. just my opinion tho. here are some ref pics, not quite the same green but you get the idea!

http://www.dieselstation.com/wallpapers/albums/GiegerCars/Twin-Turbo-Corvette-Z06/Geiger-Cars-Twin-Turbo-Corvette-Z06-01.jpg

http://www.thesupercars.org/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/2009-Geiger-Corvette-Z06-biTurbo-back-view.jpg

http://images.thecarconnection.com/lrg/gieger-corvette-z06-006_100200801_l.jpg

Thanks for the reference pics. Black wheels do look good on there I guess I'll dechrome the wheels and paint them black soon.

Mixed the color for the interior and sprayed it. I didn't want to go with all black so it will be green and black. mostly black.

P1180472_zpsb7071c7e.jpg

Thank you! Yes Ive used AutoAir paints before, they spray fairly well as long that you follow the mixing ratio on the bottle and i usually spray it at 35 psi but being water base i usually use the blow drier between coats so it wont run. this is the first time i used transparent and it was very watery and somewhat difficult to spray ( maybe it was the weather) . just took my time and used the blower a lot.

Thanks Radames

I would say you have the hang of it. The paint on your Vette came out beautiful!

Thank you!

Cool color, would love to see more pictures.

Couple questions

- what did you use to mix the paint?

- have you sanded any of the Auto Air finishes? I would guess they are very thin.

Keep up the good work and the posts!!

I used wicked w100 reducer, although I've seen videos where some people make their own reducer with 50% water and 50% rubbing alcohol. Ive used the 50 50 mix to clean my airbrush after spraying and also on practice parts and never had any problems with it but i haven't and wouldn't use it on my models. (you never know)

I have not sanded the paint before.

Thanks!

I cleared the body and now to wait for a couple of days to start polishing it. Mean while I'll start working on the interior. Here are some pics.

P1270495_zpsevoegf2g.jpgP1270496_zpswbnslhgs.jpgP1270501_zpsqjexukfj.jpg

• 2 weeks later...