Model Cars Magazine Forum

'69 Ford Talladega - Petty: reference help

Hi guys. I already made my homework and Googled for reference and pictures but aditional help is always welcome!

... and a question: the Polar Lights kit has both 427 & 429 engines. Which one should I have to use? Which one is more emblematic or have any history/achievement on Petty's hands?

Thanks guys! Have a great new year!

pl_896_title.jpg

Edited by Drago

The Ford racers started out the 1969 season with the 427 Sideoiler FE engine and I have seen pictures of one of the restored Petty 69 Torino Talladega's with a 427 in it, but they used the 385 based Boss 429 later in the year as it became available so you can use the wichever engine you like as both are correct.
I don't know wich engine Richard Petty had the most wins with but he won 10 during the year and David Pearson beat him with one and won 11 and they ended up second and first in the series that year.

Edited by Force

Another rule of thumb: If your reference shows it identified as a "Torino Cobra" it had the 427. If Talladega is mentioned it had the 429. I think both are options in the kit. Same body-differing engines. The first race with the 429 was the Atlanta 500 3/30/69.

Edited by The Junkman

Another rule of thumb: If your reference shows it identified as a "Torino Cobra" it had the 427. If Talladega is mentioned it had the 429. I think both are options in the kit. Same body-differing engines. The first race with the 429 was the Atlanta 500 3/30/69.

They didn't only use Talladega's in 1969, they also used regular Torino Cobra's at some races where the streamlining wasn't that important, the first race Richard won for Ford wich was the 1969 Riverside Road Race was in one of those, and that had a 427.

Allthough the Torino Talladega was named after the Talladega Superspeedway none of them participated at the first race there wich took place September 14 1969 as many drivers boycotted that race as they thought it was too dangerous with the high tire wear on the track.

Edited by Force

• 2 weeks later...