Model Cars Magazine Forum

Pondering the AMT Supra 2JZ

I'm using this engine in a future project and I'm doing a little research and it looks to me that the turbo plumbing on the engine is backwards, that is, the intake is actually the output and vise-versa. Check the diagram and feel free to set me straight if I'm wrong.

5a3754f1-a431-4a4b-a16e-dfc9a94f72c5_zps

According to the instruction sheet, part 86 is the air cleaner and part 62 is supposedly the output heading to the intercooler.

But per this diagram, they are in going to the wrong places on the turbo assembly.

2JZengine_zpsf1995402.jpg

I'm not real tech savvy as my frequent "what the heck" posts in this section will attest to, but I'm trying to get it right.

Any help is appreciated.

Edited by Jantrix

yeah its back to front, never liked that amt kit at all, its all just wrong, but yeah 85/86 should be pressure side running to the plenum on the intake side, and 62 would be air intake, but only shows it on the front turbo not the rear. i dont know why they have a plenum on top of the turbos either (84) they just have piping, so i moved that plenum and put it on the intake side on mine. either way i hated it so much i made it into this haha http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=69704&hl=%2Bfast+%2Band+%2Bfurious+%2Bsupra

The AMT kit isn't very accurate and really, the stock setup isn't tunable to much beyond factory output either. The stock twins are only good for 10-12 pounds of boost depending on if you have the US steel turbos to the JDM ceramic ones. To get big power out of a 2jz everyone either converts it to a single turbo or replaces the factory twins with beefier ones. I bought the resin single turbo engine for an SC300 project and it is very nice.