Model Cars Magazine Forum

1965 Buick Wildcat

Ron Hamilton

Several years back, I was able to pick up a built-up AMT 1965 Buick Wildcat Hardtop. It did not have all of the parts, but I did not care at the time, as I could get what I needed from the Modelhaus. A few years later, I was at Toledo, and I found a second one, which was kind of forlorn, and built with the custom front and rear ends, and the custom rocker panel trim glued on. However, it was unpainted, and I was able to get what I needed from The Modelhaus, who was there (about the third trip to his table). I cleaned it up, but have not primed it yet.

MAMAmeetingJan172015004_zpse05a59e5.jpg

The primered one is wearing a set of Buick's "Formula Five" Chromed Wheels, and the un-painted one has a set of narrowed Wire wheels from A '65 Buick Riviera kit. I am thinking about doing one as a Factory car, and the other as a period car with some custom touches, the way my Dad did to his cars back in the day.

This model has a place in my heart, as I remem ber my best friend (next door neighbor) having one, while I had the AMT Oldsmobile 88 2-door hardtop (I have those too, in a hardtop, and a beat-up promo convertible). Ironically, in 1965, my Dad had a 1965 Olds 98 Luxury Sedan, which he added a set of these wheels to it to personalize it.

I may do the Olds in tandem with the Buick, painted up like Dad's car. (Dark Blue w/ Black Vinyl Roof and Blue Interior. I am leaning towards Red, Dark Green, or Dark Turquoise on the Buick.

Hi Ronald, the 60's Buicks and Olds were fine cars, and the Wildcat was cool. Very large, long and luxury to boot, and just two doors. Gotta love those cars from back then. Good idea with the color scheme, but maybe a slight difference between the two?

Give the Wildcat the extra flair if possible, heritage calls!

Michael

Now here is a thread that I'll be following - especially if you do a detailed build thread. We mere novices can learn so much from guys like you and the other masters on this site and detailed build threads are always my favorite and first go to's. Your Buicks will make nice models representing a day long gone when life was certainly more simple in so many ways. Those were well constructed cars with timeless styling and appeal. I sure wish we had some big model shows in our area..*sighs*

Edited by impcon

• 8 months later...

The only experience I have with a Wildcat was a good friend of mine had a cream colored '70 Wildcat 4 door hard top with a 430 in it.

One of the fastest cars in the town I grew up in at that time. He won a lot of quarter mile races with that thing & surprised a lot of guys who had no fear of a 4 door Buick.

Spent a lot of nights cruising in that car.

Steve

I finally got to take some pictures of the Wildcat as it sits today.

Ebay%20Sept%207%202015%20001_zpsvfk60zdr

I made the decision to do the car with a vinyl roof.

I used 1/2 round styrene rod for the mouldings, and 1/4 round rod for the seams.

I am going to remove the wire wheels and replace them with a set of Buick Chrome Wheels. The car is going to represent a Super Wildcat (425 V8 with 2-4 Barrels), 4-Spped, Red Car, Black Roof, Red Interior.

Edited by Ron Hamilton

• 4 years later...