Model Cars Magazine Forum

It's but a flesh wound!

Jonathan

Speaking of getting stuff in the eye... I was cleaning a brush once after painting something with a bottle of testors. And I was using the little bottle of testors thinner, and was just about done and slipped a little as I pulled the brush out, and it flung a good bit of paint thinner in my right eye.

That shiz burned like nothing I've ever felt before. Excruciating pain and Lazer fire lava acid sun burning for about 15 mins even after flushing it profusely.

I've concluded that lacquer thinner in the eye is not a good thing.

I've seen a kleenex that had CA on it ... started producing a surprising amount of what looked like smoke ....

Tried to clear the neck of a Zap bottle into a tissue so it wouldn't have fluid to turn onto a clog. Just the sudden evaporation created the white vapor then the flash fire. DO NOT try that yourself.

Meanwhile, another cautionary tale from first hand (pun) experience, when I thought It would work to make brake rotors by cutting thin sheet aluminum into four squares, drill a hole through the centers and then bolt them into a fixture that would allow me to grind off the corners so I'd have perfect metal circles. It did work out in the end, but a delay was encountered when I gripped the four squares between my thumb and index finger while drilling the hole. Let's just say I made it through the first three squares without incident, but upon going through the 4th, they all bound up on the drill somehow and starting spinning with the drill at 10k rpm or so. Four jagged and sorta parallel deep cuts on the thumb and finger, took a while to heal up.....

My worst model building injury was a concussion, dozen stitches in my chin, scar on my forearm, and broken leg. The model was unharmed, but my Grandma was not too impressed!

Right after she arrived for a visit, I went upstairs to grab my latest model I was finishing to show her. That was the day I finally learned not to run on the stairs. On the way down, with my precious project ( '53 Chevy panel gasser featuring chrome trim done with Reynolds Wrap and Elmers) I tripped on the rug at the top of the stairs. I did a full speed endo down the (Uncarpeted) stairs with at least one and a half full flips! I was banned from model building for a long time after that one. (My standard punishment for almost any infraction was getting my "toys" taken away and being handed a bunch of books to read.) It made for a really long Winter.

Speaking of getting stuff in the eye... I was cleaning a brush once after painting something with a bottle of testors. And I was using the little bottle of testors thinner, and was just about done and slipped a little as I pulled the brush out, and it flung a good bit of paint thinner in my right eye.

That shiz burned like nothing I've ever felt before. Excruciating pain and Lazer fire lava acid sun burning for about 15 mins even after flushing it profusely.

I got a drop of Berryman's B12 Chemtool carb cleaner splashed in my eye once- that stuff is the worst!

My only knife wound worth mentioning was cutting plastic sheet stock along a metal straight edge. Apparently my finger tips extended a tiny bit over the edge of that straight edge and I took some skin off the tips of two fingers.

My big warning to all... do not spill rubbing alcohol on your lap! I had some in a spray can cap sitting on the bench and my sleeve dragged it off the edge, and right onto my lap. Yes, it burned like all heck on my personal parts, which had me stripping off my pants quick and running for the shower.

Accidentally spray painted myself in the face one time. That showed me to not do modeling on my 24+ hour days.

I cut myself with the Dremel about three months ago. The cutoff wheel, no less. I was trimming a bench seat in half when I accidentally turned the speed knob. It sliced through the seat rail, through the seat floor, then into my thumb head-on. It wen about a quarter-inch in before I realized it. With a few drops of blood and some choice words, I gritted my teeth and glued the cut shut with two different kinds of glue.

I've stabbed my foot with gravity before. Dropped new X-Acto knives on accident, blade straight down into my foot. Happened at least three times.

This is starting to sound like a re-occurring theme here but, slipped with an X-acto knife in the late 70's and nailed the side of my right hand pinkie finger. I still have a fairly deep 1" scar from that one. Lesson learned: never pull the knife toward you when cutting.

Or maybe we should all start using these-

safetyscissors.jpg

Edited by atomicholiday