Model Cars Magazine Forum

It's but a flesh wound!

Jonathan

Well, at least the blade was new. Night before last, when I should have been in bed snoozing, I was doing "one more thing" on my current build (the Hasegawa VW Beetle, Police Car - pictures soon). I had just changed the blade on my trust x-acto knife. BAM! I slipped, ran the blade across and into my thumb. Right across the knuckle. Bloodied my britches rather nicely. Washing it out, applying pressure, and bandaging it (thanks to my long suffering wife!)...I decided to forego the hospital visit. I think it'll be okay. But it got me to thinking, what is the worst you've done at the modeling bench?

Lopped the right side of my left thumb open parallel to the nail using a fresh xacto blade tying to cut and scrape old glue off a model seat.

Rammed an xacto chisel (wood working) vertically into the right side of my left first index finger. DEEP. Pretty sure I hit the bone. Nail and skin grow together funny there now. Had a 10 inch pool of blood on the floor easily. Turned white and almost passed out but my neighbor (whos house I was at) rushed me upstairs and got my finger under warm water and wrapped it up tight. I was in 7th grade in school when I did that.

Put an xacto blade all the way through my left hand middle finger when I was about 12 or 13. Trying to pry a carb off a manifold with my finger between it and the desk. One slip later the blade hit the desk via my finger. Still have the scar tissue floating around in my finger.

Edited by Erik Smith

I've managed to jab and slice myself more than a few times. It seems like no matter how careful you are it can still happen, and if you aren't careful to begin with...

One time I was using an Xacto blade to strip some insulation from some wiring. Somehow, the blade slipped and went into the side of my leg, just beside the kneecap. Actually had to go to the ER and get stitches for that one. Other than that, I've been lucky- when I get cut, I just clean the wound and grab a tube of superglue off the work bench to seal it. :rolleyes:

Back in the late '70s, I was holding a piece of plastic cupped in the palm of my hand while drilling a 1/8" hole (with an air-drill).

The drill broke through the plastic, and of course my reaction time wasn't quick enough to stop it before it bit dead-center into my palm.

The drill bit stopped when it hit the bones. I had to back it out, taking a nice deep plug of meat with some white / yellow bone on the tip.

Hurt and bled like the devil, but I had to wrap it up and finish the job. Still have the scar.

Not so stupid afterwards, either. B)

To stupid to explain in full detail but, I spray painted my eye ball once.

Great stories. I'm having a good laugh at some of them. But Kris, you really do need to give us more details on painting your eye ball. Sounds like an interesting story.

Not a modeling accident, but a simular story. I have a nice scar in my right hand, just above the wrist. Caused by one of my sisters baking brownies back when we were teens. At the time she was not the best cook (great now though). This pan of brownies came out as hard as rock. Trying to cut a piece and the knife slipped! Close enough to the wrist to scare the you know what out of me. I'm sure she was trying to get rid of me! Me, her favorite (and only) brother. I wonder if need to be watching out still, when eating any of her homemade sweets?

Scott

My hobby knife rolled off the bench only to land point down into my shoe. It penetrated just enough to p r i c k the top of my foot. :o

Lessons learned.

#1 Watch the hooverdam knife

#2 Always wear shoes while modeling especially if you are a clutz. (putz) :lol:

G

Edited by Agent G

I spilled part of a bottle of CA on my pants once. I assumed it wouldn't remain such a sticky mess if I spritzed it with some accelerator; bad move on my part, it heated up to roughly the same temperature as the core of the sun.

I've seen a kleenex that had CA on it that was then hit with some kicker (both Bob Smith brand IIRC) and started producing a surprising amount of what looked like smoke rather quickly. Apparently the chemical reaction between the two develops some decent heat.

Apparently the chemical reaction between the two develops some decent heat.

As one of my local club members found out. He had glued two parts not realizing that the CA glue had run between two fingers. Applied the kicker ........................................ and the screaming began. ^_^

Speaking of getting stuff in the eye... I was cleaning a brush once after painting something with a bottle of testors. And I was using the little bottle of testors thinner, and was just about done and slipped a little as I pulled the brush out, and it flung a good bit of paint thinner in my right eye.

That shiz burned like nothing I've ever felt before. Excruciating pain and Lazer fire lava acid sun burning for about 15 mins even after flushing it profusely.