Model Cars Magazine Forum

Conversion Parts For Monogram Duesenbergs

Back when I owned R & D Unique, I bought ALL the masters for the AAM Duesenberg conversions (and a few other classics too). I sold R&D to Tony Willing a few years ago, and am keeping all those masters safe and sound in case Tony wants to consider putting them out again. He and I have discussed a few times, but neither of us is convinced the market is big enough to devote the time and cost to making a new mold set.

We are however still listening.....

Dave VanderWal

Back when I owned R & D Unique, I bought ALL the masters for the AAM Duesenberg conversions (and a few other classics too). I sold R&D to Tony Willing a few years ago, and am keeping all those masters safe and sound in case Tony wants to consider putting them out again. He and I have discussed a few times, but neither of us is convinced the market is big enough to devote the time and cost to making a new mold set.

We are however still listening.....

Dave VanderWal

Oh please, please, please. I agree, they probably won't be strong sellers. but for the selected few elitists (rofl) that still are into classics, they really would be essential. Can you please tell me which parts there are molds for? I have no idea what was/could be made available.

Maybe I won't sell those couple of boxes of Duse kits after all!

Couple? There should be three to begin with I think. I would hold on to them if I was you. I buy every classic kit that crosses my path and they change owners for surprisingly little money since they aren't on the radar of the mainstream collectors yet. Yet. Just hold on to them and wait....the numbers out there are dwindling rapidly. Do a search on Duesenbergs on Ipay and you'll be surprised how few are offered.

And don't forget to build a batch, they are beautiful models of beautiful cars after all.

Uh, couple of boxes: They are storage boxes, 20 x 20 x 20 !!!!

In other words: I get choke Duse's!!!!

(Translation: He has a lot!)

:P

Oh, in case you have too many, I can help you win back some much needed storage room...

Edited by Junkman

Oh please, please, please. I agree, they probably won't be strong sellers. but for the selected few elitists (rofl) that still are into classics, they really would be essential. Can you please tell me which parts there are molds for? I have no idea what was/could be made available.

Sorry for delay, but I was away for a few days and have not seen this thread until today.

To address your question, this is a common misunderstanding about resin parts and kits. The simple reality is that the molds are the first to go, so there are NO molds of ANY of the components. However, ALL the component master parts are here, so new molds could be made. The problem? That's also the greatest expense in time and materials. Between the amount I paid for the master parts, and the costs associated with making new molds, that first kit out the door would probably cost around a grand to produce. If you cannot be pretty confident of selling 50 or so, you would be better off to go do something else.

Best,

Dave

I am also a big Duesenberg fan and have started a few bodies and conversions for Aardvark Models. I love antique and classic cars but they are a tough sell in today's dying market. The Model Ts I did have sold poorly compared to other things I produce. I really want to produce them but don't know if sales will be there. I imagine I will get several of them out there eventually.

I am also a big Duesenberg fan and have started a few bodies and conversions for Aardvark Models. I love antique and classic cars but they are a tough sell in today's dying market. The Model Ts I did have sold poorly compared to other things I produce. I really want to produce them but don't know if sales will be there. I imagine I will get several of them out there eventually.

Went to your Fotki - your website seems to be down.

Just two questions: That Firebird III show car - how much is it and when can I have mine?

Sorry for delay, but I was away for a few days and have not seen this thread until today.

To address your question, this is a common misunderstanding about resin parts and kits. The simple reality is that the molds are the first to go, so there are NO molds of ANY of the components. However, ALL the component master parts are here, so new molds could be made. The problem? That's also the greatest expense in time and materials. Between the amount I paid for the master parts, and the costs associated with making new molds, that first kit out the door would probably cost around a grand to produce. If you cannot be pretty confident of selling 50 or so, you would be better off to go do something else.

Best,

Dave

Freudian glitch, I was thinking styrene.

I would still be interested in learning what masters actually exist. It was mentioned there were masters for other classic's parts, what would they have been?

I mean, one of the most essential things would be a Murphy hood. I can't believe it's a thou to get the first one of these out the door, but I'm willing to learn. I fully agree with you, to do classic stuff on a grand scale is a big risk, given the era's popularity among modellers - or the lack thereof. But one always has to ask the question the other way around too - what are people supposed to buy, if there isn't anything?

Hi Dave

I have all of Art's Duesies, regret not getting the Mudd coupe from Guido in SA.

Art did the Weymann black and white speedster, the Franay boattail, A corrected Disappearing top boattail (the metal Mono), the Gurney-Nutting Orange/black boattail, a nice J hood with intakes and some wheel discs (from Weymann), a nice semi-generic four-door wit some Clearview features, and a Judkins 3-window. Lee Baker mastered many.

I heard a Victoria may be in the works somewhere, and we need a good LeGrande. Mudd coupe would be nice, and I begged Art for a Mormon Meteor (he had one in progress somewhere, I saw it).

A nice SJN could work too. I have the Ideal but I don't have time. An 8 pipe exhaust hood could work, too.

I tried to be an annuity for Art on the Duesies. Besides, how many of you guys have the Judkins 3-window? :(

Andy, please consider some stuff, and Dave, get Tony to throw a few. I'm still trying to make an Exner SSJ out of a Renwal. The Duesy was really the Stutz per the original Playboy article.

I'll shut up now.

L

I have the masters for all the Deusenbergs and components that Art did plus the Cords. As far as I know, I bought all that Lee mastered for Art.

I also have a master for the Mormon Meteor in it's former incarnation - not the latest one. Also have a master completed for a Cord L-29 roadster. Those two were done for me as a commissioned master by a fellow named Gerry Nilles, who also did the master for the Edsel Ford Speedster that Tony still casts.

I may be exaggerating a little bit about the expense of putting out the first model, but I don't really think so. When you consider master expenses, RTV, resin, white metal and tooling, advertising, etc., you can burn through a grand in a very short time.

Dave

... Besides, how many of you guys have the Judkins 3-window? :rolleyes:

L

Only those willing to chop up some other kits to get it.

HPIM00111-vi.jpg

What is a Murphy Hood? Is it the one with arc-shaped louvers? I got mine by making resin copies of a Diecast hood. I got a diecast off ebay really cheap because someone had dropped it. The hood wasn't broken though.

I have the masters for all the Deusenbergs and components that Art did plus the Cords. As far as I know, I bought all that Lee mastered for Art.

I also have a master for the Mormon Meteor in it's former incarnation - not the latest one. Also have a master completed for a Cord L-29 roadster. Those two were done for me as a commissioned master by a fellow named Gerry Nilles, who also did the master for the Edsel Ford Speedster that Tony still casts.

I may be exaggerating a little bit about the expense of putting out the first model, but I don't really think so. When you consider master expenses, RTV, resin, white metal and tooling, advertising, etc., you can burn through a grand in a very short time.

Dave

What would happen if I would pay you a grand?

Only those willing to chop up some other kits to get it.

HPIM00111-vi.jpg

What is a Murphy Hood? Is it the one with arc-shaped louvers? I got mine by making resin copies of a Diecast hood. I got a diecast off ebay really cheap because someone had dropped it. The hood wasn't broken though.

Lee,

Those hood sides are unique to one Model J, the Fernandez & Darrin drophead victoria built for the actress Greta Garbo. They have three additional curved louvers added at the rear of the side panels, to compensate for that car giving up its standard side-mounted spares in favor of double rearmounted spare tires. To return those hood sides to the way they were as supplied by Duesenberg Inc., simply carve away the rear three louvers, then fill the access/cooling door panel lines at the rear of the hood sides (ordinary Model J's didn't have those).

Remember, Duesenberg Incorporated's standard package, as supplied from there factory, in addition to the completed running chassis, included fenders, running boards, splash aprons, complete hood, radiator shell, headlights, taillight (either one for the left side, or a pair according to the customer's demand), and bumpers. Most coachbuilders didn't modify those "identifying" parts, unless the customer wanted something different, until fairly late in the game, when several attempts were made to update the aging styling toward the end of Model J production (Model J was designed in 1928, first produced in 1929, and the last one not completed until 1940 (Rudolph Bauer's convertible berline). Of course, over time, as these cars changed hands, several got restyling, ranging from new bodies to simpler stuff such as "skirting" the fenders, smaller more streamlined headlights, that sort of thing.

Biscuitbuilder

• 3 years later...

Being a die hard Duesenberg fan with over a dozen different ones started on the model desk, I would purchase any new kits or parts made available.

I was fortunate to purchase the Cord kits and all the Duesenbergs from AAM in the 90's. My mouth still waters for more and also wished I had purchased a Mudd Coupe when they were available.

I have tried to cast the louvered Duesenberg hoods with little satisfaction. I am in the process of up grading my casting product and want to try to cast the exhaust / carb for the louvered hood that I have. Thanks to Art and Lee Bake for the effort.

My conversion of the Brunn torpedo waits on the 8 pipe exhaust if it ever comes.

We are a small group that are passionate about these classics, but someone please tease us with some resin parts offerings.

Duesie